Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: Did you have c-section or normal delivery in HK?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Did you have a Natural or C-Section?

loupou is offline Baby Guru

If you go here and scoll half-way down the screen, you'll find numbers of births and numbers of C-sections at different hospitals in the 1990's.

Then you can really see the difference - for example, in 1999, ~52% of all births at Baptist Hospital were C-sections; 62% of all births at HK Sanatorium; 39% at HK Adventist, and 31% at Matilda.
    <http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr98-99/english/counmtg/hansard/990203fe.htm>

The caesarean section (CS) rate amongst women delivering at PWH increased steadily from 14.7 % to 20.5% during the period 1992-2003.

* CS-rate in all public hospitals increased from 18.65% in 1998 to 22.3% in 2003.

* A territory wide maternity audit statistics of the Hong Kong College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (HKCOG) showed that CS rates for all births Public & private) increased by 4.6% from 22.5% to 27.1% between 1994 and 1999.

*The proportion of planned caesarean deliveries in public hospitals decreased between 1998 (44.3%) and 2003 ( 32.0% ).

* But for all caesarean deliveries in Hong Kong it increased from 51.4% to 55.3%.

Based on these figures ~1/3 of babies in Hong Kong are now delivered by CS and over half of them are planned.
    - For full text go to:
    <http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/330/7495/806-a>

"From 1987 to 1999 the overall annual cesarean section rate rose steadily from 16.6 to 27.4 per 100 hospital deliveries, resulting in a 65 percent increase over 12 years.

The mean difference in rates of surgical delivery between public (mean(public) = 16.0%) and private (mean(private) = 43.4%) institutions was 27.4 percent (95% confidence interval (CI) = 24.1, 30.7; p < 0.001)."
    - Leung G.M. et al.
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=115529 64&dopt=Abstract>

hkgirl is offline Registered User

From what I've heard, it's way more painful a recovery for a c-section. I had a normal vaginal birth with an epidural and only had slight vaginal pain for 3 days and then felt no pain after that. The delivery wasn't painful and I only had slight tearing. My advice is to do perineal massage daily from 34 weeks on and kegels through your whole pregnancy to prevent perineal damage. Every person I have ever talked to always heals quicker with a tear rather than an episiotomy too. In Hong Kong it is standard procedure to do episiotomies for first births so it's good to prepare a birth plan to tell them what you want. Even at the public hospital they followed my wishes.
    Happy birthing - my next is due on October 23rd and I'll definitely get another epidural if I can!

mong1972 is offline Registered User

My first was natural and 2nd was via C-section as she was a breech baby. I must say I healed must faster with a natural birth, I was driving to the supermarket on the 3rd day to buy Pampers while I was hobbling in pain even after 1st week after the C-section. Natural for me anytime!!

Mong
    www.meganmacy.livejournal.com

butterfly is offline Registered User

Buyer Beware

I was told by a doctor that some doctors encourage their patient to have C section because:
    - it costs more ( so doctor can earn big fat fees)
    - it is easier and faster for doctor than if he/she does a normal delivery.
    so.. Buyer Beware!

Last edited by butterfly; 04-14-2006 at 11:11 PM.

benjy is offline Banned

I agree with butterfly.. seems to be the trend especially here in the region...

another thing I would like to add is that a breech baby doesnt mean C-section.. you can have a perfectly normal Vaginal delivery with a breech baby.. but of course it needs a lot of patience.. and the correct doc to support/advise you.. which seem to be lacking here...

undecided is offline Registered User

This C-section craze is not at all encouraging!
    Any advice on doctors who were not pushy and would respect your choice?
    I'm not even pregnant yet, but there is nothing I worry more than having to do a CS.

joannek is offline Registered User

my dr is louisa lam. she lets u do whatever u want as long as it's safe for mom & baby. she even let me try hypno-birth! with my instructor w/ me at the delivery rm. she said "u can choose however way u want. but my job is to make sure that u & your baby are safe. i reserve to right to make any decisions i consider fit for you when call for." i trust her 100%. tel. 28691881. she's very busy & very patient, so expect to wait long time cos she never hurries a patient out of her office. but she gets a bit too mother-y sometimes, which i like.

joannek is offline Registered User

btw, i had my baby at matilda, & they are more open to having people with u at birth.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast