Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: Did you have c-section or normal delivery in HK?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Did you have a Natural or C-Section?

kellyst is offline Registered User

tried for natural birth, but baby was stuck behind the small pelvis. so ended up with emergency CS. the stuff you have to deal with after a CS is horrible. the cut still itches now, baby is one y.o. already, and have heard that it would be itching for YEARS. it is really one big deterrent for me to have another one. the thought of being cut open is not that nice.

having said that, really appreciated that Adventist and doctor was willing to let me try. i went 9 hours without progress.. dilation was -2 after a very long time, so we had to go for the CS. but now, i know if there's a next one, i don't have a choice but to plan a CS. bummer..

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

I was supposed to have natural delivery but I only reached 5 degrees after trying for 12 hours. The contraction was so hard to bear but the most painful thing was the 'waiting'. I just couldn't stand it so I asked the OB for a c-section. Everyone who had c-section told me the pain was excruciating but I was lucky! I only needed pain killers the first two days and that's it! The pain was really minimal and I was glad that I had c-section. The only downside for me was I still looked pregnant after 6 weeks.

***BTW, I delivered mine at public hospital and it only cost me $650. If I had an emergency c-section with the OB that I visited, that would have cost $50,000+ instead. And for the record, my OB (Dr Anne Fang) NEVER suggested cesarian. She encouraged me to have vaginal delivery***

RHCP is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwifi
    I don't think your survey is going to give a "true" picture on the number of C-sections in HK - the locals tend to have elective cesareans - in part as encouraged by their doctors. Expats tend to try for normal deliveries. Most of my work colleagues (locals) confirm this: elect to have c-sections for convenience, picking birthdate, fear of pain etc etc.

p.s. I had all 3 of my kids in HK - each time a normal delivery, and each one faster than the last!
    I am thinking about it. Just seems both have advantages. I have not yet decided. How you made your choices?

raf
    raf is offline Registered User

Had an emergency C-sec for my first,Preg now with my second one,hoping this one will be vaginal.

Arwen is offline Registered User

Mine was a VB with episiotomy at Adventist.
    Hubby made the VB choice for me as I was undecided. He felt that I will not be able to take the pain that will comes after a C-sect.

VB with epidural was a breeze i.e no sensation at all.
    But I was/still am a timid mouse.. the moment I saw my doc came in, I started to throw up (whatever little there was in my stomach).. so imagine having to push whilst throwing up..yucks!

To top it off, I have a neck problem... the problem spot was aching so badly that I could not 'push' with my head leaning forward... After what seemed like an eternity(i.e 2 hours of pushing), I finally agreed to have the baby vacumn out (out of fear that the baby will be too stressed out and that they may wheeled me to have an emergency c!).

The wound healed pretty fast but then again, I was such a scary cat that I would cried out for new painkillers in the hospital even before the effects of the old ones wears off! And I walked real slowly i.e like a tortoise for close to a week... just to be on the safe side!

So to all women out there who has experienced child birth and still brave enuff to go thru it again, I salute all of you!

handcream is offline Registered User

Wow.... so informative

I think I will try natural delivery first. It seems good to both mummy and the baby. However, I scare I can't tolerate the pain!

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User

undecided - Dr Dawkins is also very good for not pushing c sections. I had my first son nvd, he said he would encourage a natural birth rather than c section unless I particularly wanted a c section due to my past experience.

One reason for elective c section may be due to insurance. Regardless of medical necessity it would be financially beneficial for us to have a c section rather than a vaginal delivery which seems quite bizarre to me really.

mintycat is offline Registered User

My first DD was breeched that never turned and also my OB told me I have a narrow pelvis so we decided to have a c-section. We will be having a c-section for the second one in May too, although I am worried about how my recovery will be this time around.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast