Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: Did you have c-section or normal delivery in HK?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Did you have a Natural or C-Section?

banane76 is offline Registered User

I think there is a place for c-sections, but I also think we need to be re-educated that c-sections are major abdominal surgery meaning all the risks that come with getting cut open. Our bodies are made to have babies naturally. I think in Hong Kong and North America, there is way too many c-sections. The WHO recommends that hospitals have less than 15% c-section rates and both countries/continents have hospitals that have over 46%! That's not right. Yes, some people, it is necessary and OBGYNs are the best for the job, but I think it would be great if there were more birthing options in Hong KOng, midwives, doulas that help women have their babies at home. Hospitals are not always the cleanest places! I had my baby at a public hospital naturally, but it was a VERY long labour, but I would have definitely loved the option to have had her at in the comfort of our own home with trained midwives that all they do is help deliver healthy babies!

banane76 is offline Registered User

P.S. You should really watch the Business of Being Born:) Great documentary!

Mabella is offline Registered User

Public system encourages Natural unless an emergency. They only advise you to have C Section prior to the birth date due to breech baby or any complications that they forsee during prenatal check ups - however in such a case, the C Section will be performed due to schedule of hospital and not the preferred time / date of birth as predetermined. I had a natural birth.....painful experience but understandably all part of mother nature!

yonge is offline Registered User

I delivered my first in HK at a private hospital with a private doctor who really pushed the C-section on me at the last minute. I was diagnosed with IUGR and was told that if I didn't that I could have a still-born - a horrible thing for a first-time mom to hear. I only learned later that he had another C-section appointment that morning in the same hospital. How convenient! Anyway, I delivered my second in Singapore where the I had the same condition, but the private doctor and hospital were much more pro-natural birth (and breastfeeding, for that matter). Will be delivering my third at a public hospital, where I was asked in advance if I wanted to elect a C-section given my previous history of a C-section, but I told them No.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567