Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MMR jab

myw1 is offline Registered User

Question MMR jab

I have just recently heard from another mom that the triple MMR vaccine on the 1 year mark is suspected to be related to autism in children. I did some research on the internet but yet to get a clearer mind on this. Could any mom shed any light on this? Many thanks in advance.

rani is offline Administrator
    Hiya,

Just wanted to let you know that I've contacted a few Drs to ask them to give us a professional opinion on the MMR vaccine.

I beleive a couple of clinics in HK are giving the vaccines separately. Should have more info for you next week.

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

myw1 is offline Registered User
    Hi Rani,

Thank you very much for your help.

Min

Min,

I've received the following reply from Dr Owen at Owen Trodd and Partners

It is no longer possible to obtain the seperate vaccines in Hong Kong.

Previously we have offered parents the choice but it has never been our practice policy to advise seperating the vaccines.

There is a controversy both within and outside the profession about the safety of MMR. It is my personal opinion that the MMR vaccine is safe.

Am still awaiting more info from some other Drs. Will post them as soon I receive them.

R
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Debate on MMR Vaccine

Debate on MMR Vaccine

Doubts have been raised that an increase in autism could be related to the use of the combined MMR vaccine. In UK, such concern has caused infant vaccination rates to drop below 85%. To prevent outbreaks of measles, mumps and rubella, which at worst can result in brain damage, infertility and death, 95% vaccination is needed. The controversy over the MMR vaccine and autism began in 1988, when a study of 12 autistic children noted that the onset of the condition in eight of them followed the MMR vaccination. However significant weaknesses exist in the study including lack of control group, small sample size and the conclusion were based on surveying parents up to eight years after vaccination.

In response of the public concern about possible link between MMR vaccine and autism, relevant studies have been extensively reviewed by independent groups of experts (from World Health Organization, US Centre of Disease Control and UK National Health Service). They all concluded that the available epidemiological evidence does not support a causal link between MMR vaccine and autism. One of the studies was published in 2002 (New England Journal of Medicine). Researches studied all children born in Denmark between 1991 and 1998 (530,000 Danish children) and found the rate of autism was the same in those who were given the vaccine and in those who were not. The study also found that splitting the combined vaccine into its three components (measles, mumps and rubella) had no effect on reducing side effects.

At present, no change of MMR immunization procedures is warranted worldwide.

By Dr. Cary Chan
    MBBS BSc MSc DCH
    Dr Susan Jamieson & Associates
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

momo is offline Registered User

MMR

I too was sufficiently concerned with the controversy surrounding MMR's link with autism that I tried to get the separate jabs for my son. I was wait-listed with Dr. Owens & Trodds but were repeatedly told that the separate jabs "would be in soon". Eventually when my son reached 18 months I decided not to wait any longer and decided the consequence of him getting mumps and measles are much more serious so I let him have the combined jabs at 18 months. Happily he did not suffer any side effects from the jabs and now at 21 months seems to be his usual self. Hope this will put your mind at ease a little.

choysis is offline Registered User

MMR delayed injections???

I've heard from several moms that they've decided to wait till their child turned 3 yrs old before giving them their first MMR shots. They thought that giving their child this shot when their child's older will help them "cope" better.

I can't remember whether I had the MMR shots as one or seperately when I was a child but I'm worried for my son. Am I over reacting???

ariel is offline Registered User
    Same here. I waited until my little one was almost 14 months for the MMR. After extensive research by myself and my husband and discussions with various doctors, we were comfortably convinced that autism does not have any relationship with MMR.

She did have a little mild fever after 12 days(just when we almost forgotten she had the shot). And the fever was gone after a day without any medications. I was very relieved and glad that we have decided to let her have it (considering the seriousness if she were to catch any of the diseases).

Good Luck and hope this helps a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top