Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Billingual or Chinese Kindegarten

Helen is offline Registered User

Lightbulb Billingual or Chinese Kindegarten

I need any advice on billingual kindegartens. We live in Jardine's Lookout, so location is an issue as we don't want our son travelling too far for school. If not billingual, we're also thinking of enrolling him into a Chinese kindegarten - but one with a learn through play philosophy. Any ideas would be much appreciated as we're pretty clueless when it comes to the HK education system. Thanks.

Jasbo is offline Registered User

Bramear Hill Kindegarten for Billingual;
    Ningnah Kinder for Chinese!

Both are very close to your place!

Jenny is offline Registered User

By any chance, does anyone have the website address for Braemar Hill Kindergarten? I have searched various websites but cannot seem to find any info. Thanks!

Lai San is offline Registered User

Braemar Hill K doesn't have a website.

kiwifi is offline Registered User

Exclamation Bi-Lingual vs Chinese Kindy

Just be aware which kindy you choose now may affect the schools your child can get into easily later, especially if you are Chinese.

We put our daughter into a local Chinese bi-lingual kindy class, and applied for a place at an EFS primary school. She was initially put on the "low priority" class, because she is Chinese and did not attend an "official" English kindy! Dispite both her parents being overseas Chinese who cannot read or write Chinese. There we were thinking doing the right thing in giving our child a chance to integrate well into HK society and get a grounding in another language, and it backfired.

There was a happy ending - I rang and wrote to explain the situation, we got an interview, and surprise surprise she got in due to her flawless English!!!

mannyw is offline Registered User

Hi Kiwifi,

Just saw your comments. I'm thinking of doing the same as you, Chinese bilingual kin but conscious about the ESF issue. I've still not really decided on the route yet be it ESF or Local.
    If local Kindy, I can still remain for another 2 years in YL, otherwise we relocate or my child travels to Tsing Yi for ESF.

Being bbc myself, my written and reading of Chinese is ok but I've always wished it was miles better.. Hence I want the next generation to have it good, regardless if we return to London or not.

Hope you reply.

Cheers,
    M