Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Education in Hong Kong - Frequently asked Questions

shri is offline Administrator

Education in Hong Kong - Frequently asked Questions

Folks,

Over the last couple of days, I have contacted the ESF, the Education department and the Hong Kong Universities. They have all appointed representatives who will help us answer questions.

Can you please start asking your questions -- related to education in Hong Kong, here?

Post all your questions and I'll consolidate and broker then to the various reps.

Regards,
    Shri

aohman is offline Registered User

Hi Shri,

Thanks for the taking the initiative. I've got a few basic questions:

Are there certain play groups a child has to take part into be admitted into the different pre-schools (ESF, Peak, HKIS, German Swiss, etc.,) and then are there certain pre-schools that are tracked for middle/upper schools.

I am not in a rush to send my kid to school and would be willing to wait until he's 4 to matriculate, but are there any disadvantages/penalties to doing this?

What are the costs involved.

How early do you have to sign up on a waiting list.

I did call Woodland Montessori and found them rather unhelpful. Have you any info/feedback about them?

Thanks much!

kevin is offline Registered User

For costs, there is an excellent list of all the international schools and their fees at http://www.classmateasia.com/sch_fee.php3

shri is offline Administrator

<offtopic>Kevin, you had to go and depress me ... didn't you?</offtopic>

I know. local schools are looking very attractive at the moment :D

aohman is offline Registered User

Depressing. I wonder if they are even delivering quality education. Anyway, thanks for the great website.

Some interesting discussions on this issue at Mr Tall and Mr Balding site - http://www.batgung.com/articles/hkschools.htm and http://www.batgung.com/articles/goodschools.htm

So, would you send your kids to a free local school or send them to an international school costing 40k+ per year?

Kids in local schools are made to work a lot harder in a very old fashioned rote system and will have at least 2 hours of homework every night from P1 onwards. But they will be fluent in Cantonese and maybe mandarine.

International schools are more modern and free thinking but cost a fortune. the education level may not be any higher than local schools but the kids are taught to think for them selves and be more independant.

I am still debating this issue. Some friends of mine recommend sending your kids to a local school for P1-P6 so they can learn Chinese (and allow you more time to save up for secondary school) and then get them into an International school. Not sure how easy this will be.

Lets get this thread back on track and pose a few questions:

If I want to send my child to an International school for F1-onwards, do I need them to go to an International school for P1-6?

What are the criteria for entering International secondary schools?

Are International schools grouped into areas the same as local schools? ie if you go to a local school in a cetain area you cannot qualify for an International school in a differetn area?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast