Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Adoption HK or Vietnam

adopter? is offline Registered User

Adoption HK or Vietnam

Has anyone adopted a child from Hong Kong or Vietnam? I have been to a Social Services briefing so I understand the process of adopting here but am finding it very hard to get information about adopting from Vietnam. I would also like to find out how long it took for those adopting here. Thanks

Tracy is offline Registered User

Cool Adoption

I am afraid I can't help with Vietnam except that a friend of mine did adopt from there and it took approximately 2 years and a lot of money on legal documentation, flights and hotels.

However, for Hong Kong the timing can vary. It will all depend on what your criteria is. If you want a new born baby girl in perfect health with known background it could take forever. If you are less rigid in the criteria, then obviously it can be faster. Girls are in short supply as opposed to boys. We started our adoption process last September and this September we were successfully matched with a 13 month old boy. Some are quicker and some are longer. Sorry about the vagueness, but I don't wish to give anyone false hope that it is a quick process. The Social Welfare Department are superb and the process is painless. They are thorough and ensure that the child gets the right parents as well as the parents getting a wonderful child.

I wish you all the luck in your adoption whichever route you choose. There is one lucky child waiting for you. Give it time and it will happen.

rani is offline Administrator

Adopter,

You may also want to get in touch with the adoptive family support group. Contact info here:

http://www.geobaby.com/Adoptive_Families_L138

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

adopter? is offline Registered User

thanks

for your replies. Tracy, we are still trying to get information about adopting from Vietnam as we feel drawn to that country. One official we spoke to told me it was impossible as British citizens in HK. I was wondering about your friend and how they managed. Could you give me some more details? I am very keen to hear from someone who has actually done it. Thanks a lot.

George is offline Registered User

Lightbulb Looking to foster my baby

My son is now 3 months old, everything is ok. However, my wife got stage 4 Lymph cancer at the same time. I want to give all my time and effort to take care my wife. I may not be physically and mentally suitable to take care my baby. I'm looking for someone who like baby very much and can foster my baby for temperary or a long time because I don't know how long will my wife to get well. Anyone can help, please call (852)60137195.

rani is offline Administrator

George,

I am so sorry to hear about your wife. I have forwarded your msg to a supervisor at Mother's Choice. They should be able to assist you in finding foster care.

Let me know if there's anything else we can help with.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rani

emmadhesi is offline Registered User

Adopter, did you ever get more details on adopting from Vietnam? We too are brits living in HK, so wondered how you got on? Many thanks