Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How to decide?

eee
    eee is offline Registered User

How to decide?

Just found out I am pregnant. As this is my first pregnancy, I don't know what I should look out for when deciding on a ob/gynae. I don't have that many friends in HK. Appreciate any suggestions. Thks.

rani is offline Administrator

There are a lot of great Drs. We've listed a few in our Resources Directory and you can also read reviews written by other members.

http://www.geobaby.com/resources/Hon...sts/index.html

Also another important thread covers maternity costs. Here it is

http://forum.geobaby.com/showthread.php?threadid=104153

HTH.
    Rani
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

eee

Thanks for the links, Rani.

I'm not covered by insurance...so I think going private is out of the picture. What's the difference between going to a private doctor versus a public hospital for pre-natal checkup? (Other than shorter waiting time)

Cyndi is offline Registered User

I think the major difference is that you do not get to see the same doctor everytime if you are going for check-ups in a public hospital. In general, the doctors are pretty good there. I've forgotton the charges in the hospital for check-ups, but compare to private OB/gyn (avg. 450 - 600 HKD per visit), you can save a lot of money here.

I was registered at Queen Mary (for private) pre-natal package, but they have dropped all the package deals last year. I was very happy with my doctor there (Dr. K.Y. Leung), but I switched to a private hospital for delivery at the end because of the changes of the charging scheme.

Congratualtions & good luck!!

Cyndi

rani is offline Administrator

eee,

The public healthcare system is excellent. Yes, there is a waiting time and very rarely do you have to wait more than an hour.

Appointments are made for you around the same time/date every month, so you'll need to re-arrange your schedule around them. You'll be seen by the same team of Drs. Tsan Yuk/Queen Mary are teaching hospitals and pre-natal care is conducted by the medical students but there is a senior Dr on duty to answer any questions. After 32 weeks the Senior Dr step in.

I think in total they do 3 scans. Whereas a private Dr would probably do one at each visit.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

eee

Thanks for sharing!!!! Appreciate it!