Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Need help with your helper?

sharonwong is offline Registered User

well taken. just spoke w/a friend and she said that having 2 helpers who are related is an ideal situation because they speak the same language, they are familiar with each other and the chances of them getting along is high.

you have provided me with very useful tips. thanks!

Graham is offline Registered User

I wish I'd known about this forum, or even thought to search online for help when going through the process of hiring a helper.

As this was our first time hiring a helper and we had no idea what we were doing, we decided it would be safer and more convenient to go through an agency recommended to us by one of my wife's colleagues.

After examining the profiles of about 20 diferent helpers, we finally chose one that we thought would be suitable and the agency started the paperwork to bring her to HK. That was back in March and we are still waiting for the HK Immigration Department to appove her. We just received a letter yesterday from the Immigration Department asking for additional information on the helper. I'm not sure why they sent the letter to us and not the agency as they were asking for things like a copy of the helper's passport?

Anyway, as my wife's due date is in 2 weeks, I'm getting pretty worried. It's not the end of the world if the helper arrives after the baby is born, but it would have been nice to have her here earlier, so we could all have some time to get used to each other.

The agency has just offered us the option of hiring a helper that is already in HK and has recently finished her contract. We are interviewing her tomorrow.

Not sure if my experience is normal, or whether the Immigration Department is just being slow and/or difficult, or did we choose a bad agency?

Just wanted to get this off my chest.........sigh

Graham

sharonwong is offline Registered User

graham
    i would interview helpers that are already in hk in your case. for your wife to be juggling between the emotions of being a first time mother and diapers....maybe nursing too, i think it's best that there is someone that can be by her side from the get-go. i'm speaking through my experiences. chances of you liking the helper fm phil is 50/50 why not work with ones already here so that the whole waiting period is not an issue. anyway, she will already have hk experience and are familiar with their surroundings.......

rani is offline Administrator

Graham,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the agency. It definitely sounds like they're incompetent, how could they submit her application without a copy of her passport? Assuming she does have a paspport it should only take approx 6-8 weeks to process her papers.

Hope the interview with the other helper went well. I'm with Sharon, at this point its best to hire locally. There are some good helpers in HK and I hope the advice on this thread helps you select the right person.

All the best!

Rani

Graham is offline Registered User

We interviewed a few helpers over the weekend that are finishing their contract soon and found one that seems perfect. She has experience with newborns, is a qualified midwife and her present employer is in Tai Po, where we are, so the helper is very familiar with the area.

My wife and I were impressed by her during the interview and both got a good vibe from her.

Thanks to the people on this forum especially Julie, we had a much better idea of what questions to ask.

Graham

Zlmao is offline Registered User

Where to get Julie's "Helper's Help"

Julie or other friends here,

Could anyone tell me where I can buy the book "Helper's Help" written by Julie? Many thanks!

Regards,
    Mao

rani is offline Administrator
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

zapi is offline Registered User

Hi

I have this book for sale if anyone is interested. I bought this a few months for my helper but she hasn't used it at all. Honestly, its brand new.

It retails for HK$99 and I can sell it for HK$50. Pick up in Wanchai only.

Pls email me on [email protected] if interested.

Cheers.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast