Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Air Miles for Children under 2yrs old

hkmommy is offline Registered User

Air Miles for Children under 2yrs old

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone knows any airline mileage program that will award mileage to children under the age of 2 years old.

We used to buy our son an infant ticket because he could fit in the bassient. However, he is now 1 years old and is too big. Our last flight from HK to San Francisco was really hard--- our son was not happy on our laps for 14 hours. In the future, I plan on purchasing him (full fare) his own seat and bringing his carseat on board.

However, I have learned that under no conditions (I have checked only with Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines) will my son be allowed to accrue mileage. The airlines told me this is their policy (children under age 2 cannot join AsiaMiles or KrisFlyer) and Asia Miles told me of their 200,000 members, no one has ever complained!! I can't imagine that I am the only parent who thinks this policy is unfair.

I'd like to know if anyone has more info regarding this matter. Are there other airlines who will award mileage? Any advice would be much appreciated.

svasbt is offline Registered User

hkmommy:

Our son is a proud "Aeroplan" member of Air Canada. He has always been traveling in his own seat, and accrueing the mileage on Air Canada and its partners. Air Canada is a member of Star Alliance. In Asia, we mostly fly with Thai Airways. The mileage flown on TG flights goes straight to his Aeroplan account. Our boy has done over 20 flights in his first year of life.

We started off in Canada, so Air Canada was a convenient choice. If you're based here, try checking with TG. They may have the same deals.

We also made a "traveller log book" for our son, and it has all the records of the flights he has been on since his very first flight when he was 5 weeks old, completed with the captains' autographs.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

hkmommy is offline Registered User

Thanks for the great info!

Thank you for your helpful info! I will definitely check into
    both airlines loyalty programs. The travel log is a great idea!

natowong is offline Registered User

Qantas Airways will let a child join their FF program as long as he/she occupies a paid seat - i joined my daughter onto their FF program when she was under 2.

cristletips is offline Registered User

Hkmommy,
    You said you checked with Singapore airlines... they are partners with Thai and are Star Alliance Partners. So i wonder why they won't allow you the miles. Maybe it all depends on the individual airline.

Are you able to redeem YOUR miles for your baby's seat? I was just wondering if you knew because i was looking at my miles the other day thinking I could. That would be a bummer if I couldnt...

Sleuth is offline Registered User

I just flipped through my Marco Polo Club guide and you have to be over 18 to join, which is a little ridiculous.

HKfornow is offline Registered User

My son is an elite member of AAdvantage miles (Oneworld member, partners with Cathay, etc.), when he flew to HK at 1 year 2 months, so I think not all mileage programs are created equal. If needed, just sign your child up on the internet to join the program and just ask the agents to add the number to his itinerary, the computer should take care of the mileage automatically.

We have also been able to redeem seats for our son, it costs the same amount of miles as an adult ticket.

tinkerbelle is offline Registered User

For what it's worth, I have also complained to Cathay about my daughter not being able to join Asia miles. They just said 'oh, sorry' and did nothing about it - the typical HK response! Our problem is that we fly back to Australia - and I don't like to fly that other airline (the flying kangaroo). I just pay for her seat and forget that I'm losing the miles!

You can claim flights that you took 30 days before their 2nd birthday. We flew back over easter so when she turns 2 in mid-May, I'm applying.

I can understand the Marco Polo club thing - they can't exactly go into the lounge on their own and children get in to the lounge if their parents get in anyway.

Last edited by tinkerbelle; 04-28-2006 at 09:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast