Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

schools in kowloon tong

sharonwong is offline Registered User

schools in kowloon tong

does anyone have any experience with international, esf schools or kindergarten and playgroups in this area?

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Yes,

My kids went to nursery school and kindergarten in Kowloon Tong. My youngest is almost done w/ K3.

What do you want to know?

which schools and what you liked about them

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Aunty Lily Playgroup - liked that they were Cantonese medium and would take kids from age 2 and had half days.

Christian Youth Center Kindergarten
    - liked that they had a nursery class (from age 2 1/2) and had a good way of easing the kids into the school, w/ parents accompanying them for the first few days. Also Cantonese medium. Loving environment.

Kentville Kindergarten - Liked the physical environment, and the fact that they set up good work habits. They were very loving to my older child and reassuring to me that my younger one was "normal" and not overly naughty. They were accepting and kind even though my kids' Cantonese was not so good. I feared the extensive homework, so switched them in K2 to:

CCKG - Liked the loving environment, and the good physical environment as well. I liked the field trips they took and they have an excellent library of children's books.

The religious education was thorough, but not over-the-top. However, if you are not a Christian, or are an atheist, or an agnostic who wants kids to "make up their own minds" the religious education might bother you (they learn to sing hymns).

I was surprised by the hard work expected of the children in the K3 year - ended up to be as hard as I was afraid that Kentville would be. Although, who knows, Kentville might have been harder.

CCKG is definitely not a "feeder" school. Both my kids were rejected by the Diocesan schools, but that was probably for the best.

tks loupou
    i'm in midst of deciding what type of medium -cantonese or english is best for my youngest since she is only 8 months she will have no problem either way. thanks again i will suss out the mentioned schools.

mambo is offline Registered User

Question how soon to enroll?

Hi, I'm not too familiar with how the local schools work here and would like to know how soon do I need to look for a school for my child. He is shy of 14 months and I have been noticing that some parents are already scouting out schools!
    I also have a few questions:

1)What schools would be good in the Kowloon Tong area? My dilemma is that I'm english speaking and my husband is both cantonese/english. Is 'homework really quite heavy in the kindergarten years?
    2)How would I know what schools are 'feeder' schools to other schools?
    3)How soon should I be applying? Is it so competitive to get in? Are there big requirements (ie. resumes of other activities?)
    4) What are the difference of international to ESF schools? (ie. we plan on moving back to N.America...one day...)

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

To the posts mentioned above....what school is CCKG???

mambo is offline Registered User

I know this thread is old, but could anyone give their experience or advice to these schools. Thanks.

Nicmum is offline Registered User

CCKG = Christchurch Kindergarten.