Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving to HK - need advice

strong is offline Registered User

Moving to HK - need advice

Hello all. I currently live in Melbourne Australia and my husband, myself and our 8 month old daughter are moving to HK in July. I would really appreciate some advice regarding life in HK with a young baby.

1. We are thinking of living in Discovery Bay (we had a look in March) as we believe it would be more child friendly. Is this right? I will be working full-time as will my husband and we will employ a full-time helper.
    2. Should we bring over our daughters furniture with us or buy it there eg cot, highchair etc. where do you buys things there and what are costs/quality like?
    3. Does anyone know of any playgroups/mothers groups in DB. What do they cost?

Any other general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

rani is offline Administrator

Hi,

DB is a great place for raising kids. But if you're both working wouldn't you rather live closer to work so you can pop home for lunch and make sure baby is ok and adjusting to her new environment and helper?

I would recommend you bring her furniture assuming its not oversized and can fit into a flat.

Best of luck!

Rani

drlbramley is offline Registered User

Welcome to D.B.

There're a lot of baby groups going on in D.B. that I know of, and my 15 months old by attend two a week, but they are normally during the weekdays. When you do get here, let us know, and we'll connect.

lornaj is offline Registered User

I'd tend to agree with Rani. Your life would be dictated by the ferry schedule (mind you, it's fairly regular). But if I was new to HK, I'd prefer to be closer to work, and a quick cab ride away from my baby.
    Re; the furniture, best to bring it with you. Shopping for this sort of stuff is easier than it was a few years ago, but still not the best.
    Good luck!

strong is offline Registered User

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think the air quality in central is okay for a young baby? I agree it would be good to be closer to my baby, but I am worried about air pollution and the traffic (concerned about accidents with the helper and my daughter).

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

lornaj is offline Registered User

Air quality, admittedly, isn't the best in Hong Kong. But I believe (and I'm certainly no expert) that most of this problem (besides the immediate vicinity of road traffic) is 'drift' from the mainland.
    There are many quieter residential pockets on HK island where traffic smell / volume is better. There are some good spots in parts of Midlevels (5-10 mins from Central), The Peak, Pok Fu Lam, has some nice, quieter areas, or you could look at more serene areas like Repulse Bay and surrounds. Am happy to vox pop my friends about this for specific spots if you'd like. Just let me know.

HKFooey is offline Banned

We have a 8mth old son and I work full time. I think DBis a great place but I think you need to think very carefully about work and home time.

We live on the south side of HK Island and find it is a good compromise.

I am originally from NZ and really value space which is hard to find in HK.

There are alot of issues to asopciated with a full time live in helper. It is culturally very different to the way we raise kids in Oz or NZ.

We have elected to have someone come in during the week and only during working hours. ie she is not there when I am home.

I would be happy to discuss any of these issues with you

S

LinkBacks (?)