Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cantonese/Mandarin Tutor

smak is offline Registered User

I am an english speaking mom from USA who has a 1 year old and I would love to do a playgroup so I can learn some cantonese. Is anyone still interested?

emilyc is offline Registered User

Dear Smak,

I am trying to organise one. Have managed to get some native Mandarin speaking and Cantonese speaking mothers and getting in touch with some Japanese speaking mothers. Pls email me privately at [email protected] so we can discuss and exchange telephone numbers.

Emily

may
    may is offline Registered User

Hi! dragonmama,

I'm interested in joining your playgroup. My son is 3 1/2 yrs old.
    I live in Pokfulam. Whereabout your place?
    May I know the playgroup will be conducted in English or in Chinese?

Sylvia,

I think playgroup is not enough for your kids to learn Chinese since Chinese is difficult to learn compare with English. However, if u do not except too much, it still can create an atmosphere for them to learn Chinese.
    It is worthy for u to find a private tutor for your kids because they can learn together at the same time. 2 is the right time to start because if they start at the age 4+, I'm afraid their Cantonese will have accent. This is my own experiences when I was a private Chinese tutor 8 years ago. (Of course, now I'm busy with my kid and my own career and will not take private students any more). However, I can share with u some methods for teaching children Chinese if you can read Chinese.

sylvia_sp is offline Registered User

Thanks May,

I think I need to have a tutor for my sons. Will have it during the summer holiday.
    And I'm afraid I can't read Chinese. Thanks anyway...

dragonmama is offline Registered User

Arrow

May,

I think it will depends our children language capacity, I think it any has a higher chance that we are going to conduct the PG in any languages.

emilyc,
    How old is your children, I would like to join you as well, please check your email.

Smak,

please leave me your email, as I do receive email from other moms in Hong Kong, and their babies' age are quite close to yours.

Sylvia,
    I think we can help you, as me and my daughter went back to Sydney because the outbreak of SARS for couple months last year. She shifted to a English speaking kid in 2 weeks time, when we came back here last september, she has a bit difficult to pick up Cantonese, and she has no problem in speaking these 2 languages now. BTW, I think most kids are really start to know Chinese when they reach the age of 4, unless you send your kid to those very-pushy Traditional Chinese school. So just relax.

smak is offline Registered User

my email is: [email protected]

Thanks!

may
    may is offline Registered User

dragonmama, emilyc,

Here is my email address:
    [email protected]

I'm interested in joining your playgroups. Pls let me know the details.
    Thanks!

dragonmama,sylvia,emily,

I think it's better for each of us(moms) speak only one language during the gathering so that our kids can learn different language from us.
    For example,emily speak Japanese,sylvia speak English and I speak Cantonese. Emily talk to the kids in Japanese even though they don't understand Japanese, I talk to sylvia's kids in Cantonese even though they don't understand Cantonese in the beginning,so that everyone can learn another language . What do u think?

Last edited by may; 06-18-2004 at 01:05 PM.

Guan is offline Registered User

Hi!

My Mandarin teacher advised me that 1 hour a week isn't sufficient to teach kids (especially the under 5's) Mandarin (or any language for that matter) as they have short attention and retention. The key to succesful learning of a new/foreign language is repetition. Instead, she recommends 1/2 hour every day would be more effective.

I think she's right from personal experience. I've tried to learn Mandarin for several years on a once-a-week (and on-off) basis, but I haven't been able to master the language.

I have a 9 month old daughter and would like to expose her to Mandarin and Cantonese. Would anyone be interested for their babies to share a Mandarin playgroup with a Mandarin teacher for 1/2 an hour every weekday?

Peng

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast