Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

part-time helpers/childcare?

j_s
    j_s is offline Registered User

part-time helpers/childcare?

hi all,

we're moving over to HK for six months and I don't know where to start with finding someone to mind my baby for short periods.

I don't really want a full-time helper, but it seems that mostly they live-in? we'll probably be in a serviced apartment anyway, and as I won't be working I'm happy to do most of the baby-wrangling myself (he's seven months). does anyone know of an agency for nannys/babysitters who come to you rather than living in? I know this may be a bit more expensive on a per-hour basis.

I'm just hoping to get a couple of afternoons and one night "off" a week for exercise/shopping and to go out with my husband.

Jenny

Rosewood is offline Registered User

I bought a guide called "B is for Baby" published by Matilda Hospital.. it has lots of useful info on pregnancy, bith, and how to care for babies with hk lifestyle in mind. The book mentions "Rent A Mum", which provides native english baby sitting and childcare services - they use experienced or qualified staff. Its run by expatriats, and they've been around for 12 yrs. Evening babysitting costs around 120-180 dollars per hr. You can email them on [email protected], their no is 2523-4868.

rani is offline Administrator

HKFooey is offline Banned

I do not think MumsRUs still operates. There is certainly no reply when you try and contact them.

Annerly Midwives also have people for babysitting their number is 2983 1558 and website www.amidwife.com.

Rentamum have changed their email to [email protected]

I hope this helps

j_s
    j_s is offline Registered User

thanks! I'd mailed the old rentamum address. Proxy Maid have told me they don't do part-time helpers at all.

floppy is offline Registered User

I just spoke to the lady in charge of rent a mum as I am myself looking for part time nanny and she told me they can do part time, temporary childcare. The minimum time each time is 4 hours and the rate is HK$132/h for babies over 6 months old.

Best thing is to call them.

Best of luck

Jenny_S is offline Registered User

we had someone come on Saturday night, but I'm finding the booking service very patchy right now (the sitter herself was lovely). she was the third person they'd booked for that night - the first two dropped out for apparently legitimate reasons - and the person I had booked for today needed to change the times so I've had to cancel that as well. and the Saturday night sitter is off for six weeks now. it seems many expat families leave in summer and so do many of the carers. so I'm hoping to get something sorted out in maybe September, or try to sort out a private arrangement.

(had a call from them while I was typing this; they're very nice about it and are trying to find me a sitter - it just seems there's a Hong Kong-wide shortage!)