Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

baby sling help

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

LLL Leaders are volunteers who use their home telephone numbers as a breastfeeding hot line. Because of this sometimes we are out (this afternoon I was taking my daughter to Mandarin Story-time at Pacific Place).

If you leave a message and a telephone number on my answer machine I will call you back as soon as possible. At the moment I am the only Leader in Hong Kong and I will be leaving for my holiday on Monday morning. So call soon or wait until after the 23rd.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

ozmaofoz is offline Registered User

I have the blue and green, which was not my first choice, but I'm pretty happy about it now.

tentacle is offline Registered User

web site for baby wearing

http://www.mamatoto.org/

You can make your own slings, and they have movies to show you how to use them too.

jools is offline Registered User

Hi,
    Just to add my support to the maya wrap. I have two depending on what I'm wearing. In my top five things that you have to have when you've got a baby, the maya wrap is number one. My daughter travels everywhere in it, she sleeps in it, nurses in it. I really like the fact that she's at my height so she can see everything (and is also not at the level of car exhausts, which she would be in a stroller). Good luck getting one you won't regret it. Just note, make sure you get the DVD that goes with it as it took me an age to figure out how to thread it at first; make sure you practise before putting your baby in it and I would recommend washing it on a cool wash first with no softener so that it moves through the rings more easily.

Happy baby wearing

Jools

Jen Spain is offline Registered User

I'm so glad I just logged on - we have been looking around for a sling / backpack to suit our 18month old daughter for short periods. Friends of ours bought a fabric front sling for their son (also 18months) from local markets for HK$30 and say that it is fantastic, however, I want to make sure that whatever we get is safe etc. Up to what age / weight is the maya sling able to be used?
    Thanks,
    J

jools is offline Registered User

Hi Jen Spain,
    I think I'm right in saying that it can be used up to 35lbs but not sure. You can use it to carry your child in different ways. At the moment my daughter (who is 8 months) is carried facing forward in what is called the kangaroo carry. She has her legs crossed and sits in the pouch facing forward. When she's a bit bigger I will start using the hip carry, still using the sling to support her weight. The maya wrap can also be wrapped around a toddler that is walking, like a harness, so they can't run off and also in a shopping trolley to stop them slipping. Like I said in my other post, the maya wrap is my top baby/child product because it's so versatile. If you go to the maya wrap website it gives you a variety of photographs of the different ways that the baby can be carried. Hope that helps.

Jools

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I found my sling particularly useful when my children were toddlers. I found that they wanted to walk but not for very long. It was so easy to slip the baby in and out of the sling – I usually carried them on my hip unless they fell asleep. Somehow it didn’t seem so bad carrying an empty sling as pushing an empty pushchair.
    Barb

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Local cloth baby-carriers from market

Hi Jen.

I also used the local baby-carriers from the market. Are you talking about the ones that are basically a large square/trapezoid w/ 4 straps that you attach w/ plastic latches? I used one for both my kids, from the age of about 4 months until they were about 2 years old ~30 lbs. I LOVED them. Easy to get into an out of, not too sweaty (for me) and folded and packed easily. The zip front pocket could also hold my wallet. My kids are now 7 and almost 9 and are strong and healthy.

My husband was carried in a more traditional version (the straps knotted rather than w/ plastic clips) constantly for his first two years of life and his back is strong and legs straight and strong too.

Here you can see the basic outline of a Chinese style baby carrier (scroll to the bottom).
    http://www.peppermint.com/anatomy.htm

Here someone in the UK is selling a version for GBP 18!
    http://www.breastfeedingandbabyweari...dPodegi&Sub=23

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast