Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Car Seats

Maxine is offline Registered User

Car Seats

Dear All,
    Appreciate some local advice.
    We're contemplating the move up to HK and will be making a "site" trip next month to have a look around.
    We have a 5mth old, and will be bringing him up with us.
    What are the regulations in regards to car seats? Are they required if using taxis ? Can they be hired if we hire a car, or use a private car ?
    Appreciate your comments

Maxine

nykki is offline Registered User

Hi Maxine,

You don't need a car seat in public transport (incl taxis) - we use a baby bjorn and strap ourselves in so that the baby is on top of the seat belt, just connected to us.

I've never been brave enough to own a car in HK, so can't advise you on private vehicles, however you could have a look on the Hong Kong Police website - it covers just about everything!

Good luck!

Michelle KH is offline Registered User

Although the law does say that no person shall drive a private car on any road when there is a passenger of 2 years of age or less who is not securely fastened to his seat by means of an approved restraining device, I don't think many people do follow this in HK.

From my observations, a lot of people in HK are not that safety conscious and you can see a lot of babies/child not being strap in cars.

I am not sure if you can hire a car seat in HK, but in any case, the public transportation is pretty good it is much easier to get around in a taxi if you have not driven in HK before.

Also, I had previous experience that my car seat can not be properly fastened to a taxi, so as mentioned by nykki, it may be better to use a baby bjorn.

I hope this helps.

Michelle

Smile Car Seats

Thanks Nykki and Michelle - we've got a baby bjorn, so will make sure I pack it. Certainly will give me a bit more comfort than just holding him. Australia is pretty strict in terms of babies/children in cars and wasn't sure about how strict other countries are.

As you suggest, we will probaby use public transport, but wasn't sure if the "agent" would drive us around to different properties.

I'm looking forward to the trip,

Maxine

rani is offline Administrator

Maxine,

You can rent a carseat from the YWCA

http://www.geobaby.com/Baby_Equipment_Rental_L212

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Thanks Rani- that good to know, and will come in handy for other bits and pieces that I don't want to bring for a short trip.
    Do you know how I arrange it ?
    Do I need to pre-book or can I visit and pick up same day ?
    Thanks
    Maxine

rani is offline Administrator

Maxine,

Sorry I don't. Best to drop them an email.

[email protected]

Rani

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

mon3793 is offline Registered User

Maxine,
    We moved to HK from Aust in Feb. DON"T bring a car seat from Australia unless you plan to buy a brand new car. None of the second hand cars will have a bolt to secure your Australian car seat. You can (apparently) have them fitted, but we bought a station wagon and this was going to be a major hassle and i didn't trust it would be done properly. So, we bought a car seat here which, like in the UK, is fitted with only the seat belt. Most people travel in taxis without restraints - just hold the child on their lap with or without a Baby Bjorn. Our second child is 4 weeks old and we use a "capsule" type car seat for him that is also fitted using only the seatbelt so it can be transferred easily from our car to a taxi.
    Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast