Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Speech Delay?

Discoverybay is offline Banned

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and lots of support. I really appreciated.
    Well.. I will keep on reading, play games. The bottom line is, I just wanted my son healthy and happy! My son ****ed on my lips this morning, my heart melts...

We are taking my son to the beach in Thailand the following next week for his 2nd birthday.....Can't wait.

Cheers.

jools is offline Registered User

You have a great time and enjoy his birthday

Jools

lynn cheung is offline Registered User

sign language

I found that teaching my son sign language helps us to communicate better. You can read an article about it in:
    http://speechcomm.la.psu.edu/faculty...ls_article.htm
    I started teaching sign when my son was 7 months old, and now he can sign 38 signs (he's 12 months now). He started talking when he was 6 months old, but till now can only say 8-10 words, so the signs help a lot. He can ask for food (bread, cheese, cookie), he can tell us (butterfly, airplane, train, shoes, etc) when he sees them. And he still like to babble and sometimes try to imitate the words we say.
    There're a lot of books abt this, too. So you can find them in the Internet.

rani is offline Administrator

We taught D a few signs as well, but just the basic feeding signs - more, water, milk and finish. We started at 6 months and at 7 or 8 months he was able to communicate with us using them. I only wish we had taught him more cos we never thought he'd be a late speaker.

Would recommed Joseph Garcia's signing kit -

http://www.shopinhk.com/product.php?productid=79913

Rani

Last edited by rani; 11-11-2005 at 12:35 PM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

momo is offline Registered User

My son did not start talking until he was almost 2.5 yrs. Now he is 3 and we cannot stop him talking. Just keep talking and reading to your son, I am sure he is absorbing it all and one day everything will "spill" out from his mouth.

lynn cheung is offline Registered User

I use Joseph Garcia's book, too.
    Reading also helps.
    I taught my son to call me "mama", and his first word was:"mama" (6 months). Around this time we read 1 book abt baby monkey, inside there was a word:mommy. Andrew surprised us when one day he called me "mommy!" (around 8 or 9 months). Now he still call me "mama", but once in a while he'll call me "mommy."
    So, just keep on talking, reading, singing, etc.

Discoverybay is offline Banned

Hi Mom's & Jools,

We just got back from HuaHin - Thailand...It was such fun and my son Erik won't stop playing around the beach and at the pool. I sent some his home meals recipes to the hotel for the room service requested, it worked really well...AND he was bubbling non-stop, it was not clear words at all...BUT I can tell he wants to communicates with us, he looked at me and started BABABABABABAB and NANANANANAN...at the same time, I was non-stop talking to him and singing to him. Macdonald Farm, Twinkle Star, Humpty Dumty and ABC...) and I took some mini play dough for him, he DID came to me with play dough and put it on my hands, he did not talk at all, BUT he did looked at me. His eyes were telling me to open it...I am so excited!! I wish I can send you all some pictures that I took for him on Elephant riding and Baby Monkey feeding...

Oh, by the way, I just ordered the book Joseph Garcia's signing kit -

http://www.shopinhk.com/product.php?productid=79913

Thank you all so much for the cheerful information and support.

Nicole

Last edited by rani; 11-11-2005 at 12:36 PM.

jools is offline Registered User

Hi DiscoveryBay,
    That's fantastic news, I'm so pleased for you. It sounds like you got so much pleasure from your interactions whilst on holiday and there was real communication going on. Children are this little for such a short space of time; you enjoy your son, every smile, babble and look is so precious.

Jools

P.S. Good idea to send recipies to the hotel for room service, I shall remember that for the next time we are on holiday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast