Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Toddler's got the coughs!

petshe is offline Registered User

Question Toddler's got the coughs!

My 2 year old daughter has been coughing so much and she's got phlem in her throat as well -- anything good to recommend?

Fafa is offline Registered User

Hi there,

If you believe in Chinese herbal medication, do try "Monkey Dates Powder" from Yu Eng Seng (Central, QRC), opposite to Wing Hang Bank.

Anyway, avoid cold & sweet drinks for your daughter. Warm water is best for her.

Best, of course, is send her for swimming classes in next Summer to allow her breathing system to get strong.

My 2 little girls are taking vitamins now, seems to be improving.......

Take care,
    Fafa

Jen Spain is offline Registered User

Helping the coughs

Hi,
    My daughter had a yukky cough for a while also - I was told that often the cough is caused by snot running down the back of the nasal passages to the throat causing irritation. I used drops of saline solution (salt water) in her nose (about 8 drops each nose) which then enabled me to clear her nose (either because it drains itself, or you can use a dropper to suck the mess out). It may not look like your child has stuff up her nose but you'd be surprised how easily and well this works!
    Cheers,
    Jen

Alica is offline Registered User

Jen

How do you make the saline solution? Which tools do you use to give the baby the solution?
    Alica

Hi Alicia,
    I've never made the saline solution myself as at home (in Oz), I buy made up solution. I am not sure about HK, but I would imagine it would be available anywhere. (A "recipe" I have in my "baby bible" is 1/8 teaspoon to 1/2 cup boiled water cooled to room temp). I use a dropper to put a few drops in each nostril (if you can get them to lie down so it goes as far back as possible). I have also bought a sucker-thing from the chemist (sorry, I don't know any other name for it!) which you can use to get the snot out - it is much much easier than putting a tissue up there etc and its quick which is great for a struggling child! Its quite like a dropper but you use it in reverse - ie squeeze the air out before you put it in their nose, then release so the snot goes inside, then take it out. I bought all (ie: saline, dropper and sucker) in one package for children.
    Hope that helps - Ally has actually just gotten another cold so looks like I may be pulling it out again!
    Jen

PreciousBaby is offline Registered User

They sell sterilzed saline solution in small dropper vials in Chicco.

hunhun is offline Registered User

I think you can get saline solutions pretty anywhere....mannings, watsons, parknshop, wellcome...not to forget optical shops. Contact lens wearers use saline solutions to clean their lenses.

You just need to be careful about any chemicals added - its normal for there to be a preservative, but there shouldn't be anything else added.
    J