Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breast Size

Nicobersis is offline Registered User

Breast Size

Dear all breast feeding mothers,

This is my second baby but the 1st time I fully breast feed my lil one. She's fully on breast milk and I'm extremely proud of it. The only concern I have is my breast size. I'm usually a size C now my boobs are size E and I wonder if I have to live with this size till I'm done with breast feeding or it will get smaller once the milk is established. It's been 16 days since I breast feed, please advice.

Thank you!

rani is offline Administrator

Hard to say ;-(

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

Dear Jenny,

It is really difficult to say exactly what will happen to your breasts because every mother is different. But generally breasts increase during pregnancy. This is an increase in both the cup size and the under bust size. When you are pregnant your heart size increases and part of the increase is explained there.

After the birth the heart reduces in size again and so the under bust measurement reduces. However, during the first couple of weeks when the milk rapidly increases from colostrum to mature milk the breasts usually are very firm and very large aqnd the cup size may increase a lot.

As breastfeeding progresses this very full very heavy feeling will stop. It is hard to say when because that depends very much on the individual. Usually the breast size reduces slightly after about four weeks and leaking and the fullness stops after about four months but the range of normal is very wide.

A normal lactating breast is actually soft. In fact it is only the first few weeks to months that is abnormal.

Hope this sets your mind at ease,
    Barb

JennyB is offline Registered User

I agree with everything that Barb says.
    Just to add my own experience, now I have been breastfeeding for a year, I have found three stages of fullness:
    1. Engorgement in the early weeks. Your breasts may feel so sore and heavy, but luckily it doesn't last.
    2. Settling down. Your breasts gradually adjust to how much milk they need to make and when. They will still be much larger than before, but not uncomfortably so. Get a good bra to help you feel well supported.
    3. Winding down. Once your baby starts taking food from other sources, your baby can continue to benefit from breastfeeding but won't require so much milk, so your breasts will produce less and be much less full. I think my breasts are back to "normal" size now, unless I go for a longer period than usual between feeds, when they will get a bit full, but still much smaller than a few months ago.
    Best wishes!

Nicobersis is offline Registered User

Thank you for the infos.. my breasts has settle down abit alr. Just glad they are feeding my baby well.

rebecca0526 is offline Registered User

Any good creams for bust suggested? Is Mustela good to keep bust firm? Any other brands suggested