Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Were you alone during labour, public hospital??

hkaussie is offline Registered User

Angry Were you alone during labour, public hospital??

I'm only 8 weeks pregnant, so have a long way to go, but I am intending to have my baby in a public hospital, probably QMH.

I have read all the threads on public hospitals and I am horrified at the thought of being alone while in labour! I can't believe that they wouldn't let my husband be with me the whole time, or afterwards only during visiting hours.

This is unheard of in many countries, I'm sure!!

I would love to hear from others (I know there are some posts in other threads, but would like to read more), who have given birth in the public system and how you coped without your partner with you as much as you would like.

Thanks!

HKAussie

jwang is offline Registered User

Hi HKAussie,

I was alone during labour, but it was during the SARS epidemic. I'm sure things are more relaxed now, but I believe that visiting hours are more restricted than before SARS. I think you should contact QMH to find out what there policies are. You can ask about the policies at the antenatal appointments, but I would still call QMH to make sure because I got some conflicting info. at the antenatal appointments.

I did not cope well with being alone. It was my first pregnancy so I was terrified. Next time I plan to go to a private hospital or get a semi-private room at QMH as I couldn't sleep at all in QMH (The crying babies kept me awake as I'm a light sleeper).

I hope I haven't added to your fears. Maybe someone who delivered more recently at QMH will jump in into this thread.

pokfumum is offline Registered User

Hi HKaussie

I gave birth to my first baby at QMH a few months after SARS restrictions were lifted and they welcomed my husband into the labour room. I gather they prefer to keep you alone during your early stages (before you are 3cm dilated), but it might be best if you can stay at home as long as possible to avoid this. I had Hulda Thorey from Annerley with me at home and she was able to monitor my progress here in a more relaxed environment.

Visiting hours after the delivery are a bit restrictive, but the upside is that the ward is quiet for most of the day. You will probably only be in for two nights so use it as a time to bond with your new child.

I would highly recommend Queen Mary's - I am having my second there in a few weeks! Just be open minded about how things are going to turn out, but at the same time let them know if you have any special requirements. Hopefully they will follow your birth plan as closely as they can. I hear they are more open to different birthing positions, for example, when they were when I was in 14 months ago.

All the best!

alice is offline Registered User

dear hkaussie,

In recent years, husband is allowed to come in the labor room in public hospital if the wife requested.

But I expelled my husband while I was delivering. I don't want to see him at that moment. I don't know why, of course, i love him so much, but I can't accept him to be with me.

Even I delivered my second son in a private hospital, I rejected him again. :missingto

Refering to some magazines, some hospitals only allow the husband to come if you request it during the anatal visit. Some point out that if the labor room is full, the husband may not come even if they have requested.

So, you would better to do some work to ensure your husband can come with you.

Graham is offline Registered User

The policy on allowing husbands to be present during labor varies from hospital to hospital from what I understand.

My wife & I specifically chose Queen Elizabeth hospital for the birth of our first child last June, as (a) they actually encourage husbands to stay with the wife during labour, and (b) they have individual and very modern labor rooms.

Although Prince Of Wales hospital was much closer to where we live, we were told that husbands are not usually permitted to attend during labor, mainly due to privacy issues. At that time they just had one shared labour ward, with only curtains to provide privacy. It's my uunderstanding that since then they have renovated and now have individual labor rooms.

I think the best thing is to check with each hospital about their policy.

We were very happy with our experience at Queen Elizabeth and would not hesitate to go back there should we ever decide to have another child.

Graham

hkaussie is offline Registered User

Thank you so much for your replies, it's helped a lot.

Alice, it's interesting you say that because my Mum said exactly the same when I told her my fears! She said 'your Father was no help and I didn't really need him there at that stage!' I don't know that I will feel the same way, but at least I have heard a few stories and I appreciate the good and the bad.

I'll definitely be talking to my hospital when I have appointments with them. I just went to register today but forgot my ID card, so have to go back next week!

Thanks again, and any further stories are still very welcome,

HKAussie

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I didn’t find my husband very helpful when I was in labour. But I think it was a good thing he was there from his point of view. What I found most helpful was to be reminded that I was in transition stage. At the time I thought I couldn’t take any more (this is normal in the transition stage) so to be reminded of that made me realise it wasn’t going to go on for ever.

Best wishes,
    Barb

Joyce is offline Registered User

I had my first baby during SARS and they didn't allow husbands in the delivery room then and also understandably during that time, visiting hours were very restricted. I had my second baby just 6 weeks ago, again in Queen Mary and this time, husbands were allowed in the delivery room, but not in the labour ward. Visiting hours were: 12-1:00 and 6:00-8:00pm

I would thoroughly recommend Queen Mary as both times I was there were positive experiences for me.

Just to add, if you end up having a C section, husbands are not allowed into the operating room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast