Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What happens at registration for QMH/Tsan Yuk?

carang is offline Registered User

i just delivered my boy at QMH last saturday...
    at tsan yuk, if your first appt is on a tuesday, so will all subsequent appts.
    this isn't as bad as it seems, it means if you request a "medical officer" (ie experienced dr) rather than a "houseman" (new and inexperienced dr) you may get to know your doc and that helps a lot. i found when i had to see a houseman, i got asked the same questions a million times. however, after i cottonned on to asking for the medical officer, and they got to know me, i wasn't asked old questions repeatedly.

JennyB is offline Registered User

Regarding flexibility of appointments. I did manage to change appointments, so it can be done. Say it's impossible for you to go on Tuesdays. I think I might have cried as well! Alternatively, if you have understanding employers, keep with the Tuesday appointments and enjoy your Mondays off without having to spend any of them at the Tsan Yuk!

But also bear in mind that unless you are classed as high risk, all your monthly checkup appointments will be at local clinics, except 20wk scan, blood-glucose test and the last few weeks which will be at Tsan Yuk (I think I went a total of 6 or 7 times to the TY and about the same number of visits to local clinics). You get a choice of local clinics and you can choose one which has hours to suit you as well as the location. I used the Central one which only does antenatal checkups at Friday lunchtimes (after an initial registration on a Weds I think), but other clinics' hours are completely different.

Slee is offline Registered User

Please note that legally your employer is compelled to give you paid time off for all anti-natal appointments. If they complain about this, point out that your employee medical insurance doesn't cover maternity (I assume!) so this is your only alternative. If they're still pooey,suggest they pay for private care! I was actually really annoyed that my high risk OB only held her clinic on Fridays - my day off!!!!

intrigue is offline Registered User

TOP TIP!

When I was having my appointments at Tsan Yuk it drove me mad that my 1030 appointment was also given to another 50 women.... so sometimes I didn't get to see the doctor until 1230 or later!

The way to get round it is... okay get the appointment slip for whatever time they give you but turn up at Tsan Yuk at 0900 regardless what time your appointment is. Go up to the nurses station and register or let them know you are there. You will then end up getting the first appointment of the day.

I sussed this out near the end but it was worth it... it meant I got out of there by 1030 and had the rest of the day in the office which was far preferable than going to the office, leaving, then going to hospital, then going back to work...

Hope this helps!

hkaussie is offline Registered User

Good tip, intrigue. I learnt this the hard way after waiting 3 hours last Tuesday, as I was number 19. So boring!!

HKAussie

intrigue is offline Registered User

good luck at your next appointment!

by the way for scan appointments - I never had to wait long so didn't show up mega early for those.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12