Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Changing Domestic Helpers

stephchoy is offline Registered User

Question Changing Domestic Helpers

My domestic helper has just announced that she wants to go back to the Philippines as her husband and children miss her desperately. Her older sister whom we know and trust has offered to come back from the Philippines to take her place. My daughter Zanna is over 2 yrs old now and much less clingy. But does anyone have any advice on how to manage the transition phase from one helper to another? I am just not sure how to ease her into the relationship with a new caregiver.

Appreciate your thoughts!

rani is offline Administrator

Steph,

We changed helpers just before D turned 2. Had the same concerns as you, as he was very attached to our previous helper. But surprisingly it took him only 2 weeks to feel comfortable with our new helper. He loved having a new playmate and she knew all his favorite nursey rhymes ....YEAH! Kids adapt easily.

Have a read through this thread:

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116525

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Ideas for adjustment

Since you are parting on fairly good terms, that should help.

I would recommend that you have some "cross-over" period if possible, maybe a few days where your helper's sister (your new helper) comes and adjusts to your family and your daughter gets used to her new caretaker.

If that's not possible, then talk about it w/ your daughter a couple of weeks before the change. Let her know that your helper is leaving not because anyone did anything wrong, but because seomtimes people get home-sick (blah blah blah).

Have your helper talk w/ her as well, about her nice sister who will look after her. Taking pictures for good-bye can also help.

So, try not to make a big deal about it, but treat it as something to get used to, like going to a new nursery school, or moving house.

stephchoy is offline Registered User

Many thanks for the advice. I guess change is inevitable but it's reassuring to know that kids adapt. I was thinking maybe a week's overlap between the two. Loupou, your advice about getting my child mentally prepared is helpful. I'll definitely try that out!