Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

planning next baby

capital is offline Banned

planning next baby

I have a 13 month old and am thinking that in the next few months I may start TTC again. How many years between your children and how did you decide when to have your next? It took 9 months last time, so I am expecting that again. If I got pregnant right away I would be so shocked!

a mom is offline Registered User

i became prego again when my first was 1 yr old. i think i was going by the fact that i wanted the baby making/raising years over n done with and the trend amongst our friends of having about 2 years difference btw kids. also depends on how many kids you want ultimately, because if you only want 2 you can perhaps afford to wait till your 1st is bit more independent. being pregnant while caring for a 1+ yr old just was tiring.

good luck.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

The World Health Organization now recommends that there be three to five years between births. The reasons for this are mainly from the woman’s health viewpoint. It takes a lot out of your body to be pregnant and they have found that the closer mothers have their babies the more complications there are with the subsequent pregnancies. After about five years the body has forgotten what it learnt by being pregnant and so it is similar to having a first baby again.

Most of us in Hong Kong have a very high level of nutrition and so are much less likely to have complications than the average mother. However, if you have any health problems, no matter how small, it would be a good idea to get them sorted out before adding the extra burden of pregnancy.

I had three years between by first three children and then a gap of seven before the last. This wasn’t planned it just came this way. One nice benefit of this arrangement was that the next child up was away in kindergarten for part of the day and this allowed me to spend part of each day enjoying my baby alone.

Best wishes with whatever you decide,
    Barb

jools is offline Registered User

Hi Capital,
    It took us 18 months to fall pregnant with my first child. So when he reached 11 months we decided to start trying again (as the clocks ticking and I'm not getting any younger). Well the following month I was pregnant again. Both pregnancies have gone very smoothly and I am now beginning to think about having our third (as I say clock's ticking). My friends who all had their first child at the same time I had mine, now all have 2 as well. One if them has only seventeen months between them and again both pregnancies went well.

I like having them so close together as they are already playing together (my son is nearly two and a half and my daughter is 8 months). The advice I received in the UK was that the body was ready to have another baby after a year, though as has already been said the World Health Organisation says 3 to 5 years; (Do they have a vested interest in reducing family sizes in developing countries? And off course the nutrition levels in developing countries can be alot lower and therefore the mother's health is much more at risk- PERSONAL OPINION ONLY). My personal thoughts are if your healthy then go for it, but like I said I want a big family and I am now in my mid thirties.

Good luck and if you decide to go for it having two close together is wonderful.

Jools

Last edited by jools; 03-09-2005 at 07:56 AM.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

baby spacing

My kids are 22 months apart. Both times we were lucky and conceived the first month we stopped contraception. I was shocked when I fell pregnant so quickly the second time.

I agree w/ Jools that in HK and other developed countries the 3-5 year gap recommened by the WHO may not be necessary to prevent maternal depletion.

So, my daughter was 12 months old when I conceived my son.

I used to snarl at everyone who said "Oh, it's great the kids are close in age, they can play together". My kids only started playing together when the older one was about 4 1/2 and the younger one about 2 1/2. But they do play togther nicely now and have similar interests.

lynnhc is offline Registered User

baby 1 was 2 years 2 months when baby 2 was born. 11 years later we had our youngest daughter!

Lynn

Joyce is offline Registered User

Smile

I have exactly 19 months between child 1 and child 2. They were both planned but child 2 was conceived much quicker than expected. Funnily enough, a lot of my friends who have 2 children have a similar gap between the first and second child. Must be the water.........

Carm is offline Registered User

Our daugher just turned one last week and I have our son who will be born in June inside my tummy. They are 15 months apart. I know there will be so much hard work following but we still love them so close with each other. Hopefully, they will be each other life-long friends!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast