Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Remodeling Neighbors

HKfornow is offline Registered User

Remodeling Neighbors

We moved to our current apartment 6 months ago, and within a month the place across from us started a major remnovation/tear down, which caused my son to be extremely agitated as it was of course very loud, so I took him overseas to get over that stage. Been back a month and a half, yet today, the unit directly above us is starting renovations, and the banging & drilling is really scaring my son, who is now 22 months old. How do I reassure my child that the noise will eventually disappear sometime in the future. . . will I just assume that he will get used to the noise and be able to take his nap? Or is it time to take another trip overseas??? Please help.!!

shaz is offline Banned

if you have the luxury of going overseas, go for it! but more importantly he needs to learn how to deal with stuff like that. we have had drilling around us, nothing as drastic as a major renovation but enough noise to make my then 2 year old to be scared. we would either take him out for a walk or just try to deal with it in the house by finding things to distract him all along comforting him that it is ok and no need to be scared. napping i think is out of the question cause they just cant sleep through that sort of noise, can you>?
    hang in there - it sucks having that going on all around you.

This cannot be happening

Ok, I took my son overseas again to avoid the renovation upstairs, and we just got back two weeks ago, the unit upstairs just finished their renovation this week. So today, the other unit above us starts a MAJOR renovation, so once again the drilling, and pounding. I am not sure whether I should laugh or cry! If this is not such a pathetic situation, this would be hilarious!

jane01 is offline Registered User

We recently renovated our HK flat and unfortnately caused some noise disturbance to our neighbours.

We agreed a lunch time each day where the workers would stop drilling/anything noisy and the neighbours could put their children to sleep. Perhaps you could negotiate some downtime during the day?

Wherever you are in HK, you'll always have drilling or something else noisy going on...

shalom is offline Registered User

Angry

i had exactly the same problem!!! i was pregnant then and the flat opposite us started renovating, and it was really very loud and irritating and i was afraid that it might frighten my unborn baby. i went overseas for over a month only to find that the flat beside us started renovating. when it was finally over, and i was about 7 months pregnant, the flat above us started renovating. i know what you're thinking, no way can anyone have such bad luck three times. finally i took a long long holiday and my baby was born in malaysia, not in hong kong( thank god!) and i stayed in malaysia for another 2 month before returning because i didn't want to risk my newborn to the noise that may caused permanent damage to his hearing. right now, fingers crossed, i pray hard that the flat below us will not be renovating, otherwise i may take another trip to malaysia. so you see, i know exactly the nightmare that you are going through. but unfortunately, i dont have the solution for it, just keep traveling each time someone is renovating, i guess.

I just have to rant & blow off some steam. Today, the building caretaker in our building informed me that our neighbors below us are complaining that they are hearing noise from us late at night and early in the morning, in the form of kid running or banging. DUH! I have a 2 1/2 year old and yes he is up early (for HK standard) around 7 am but he is in bed about 8 pm, so why do I have to put up with everybody and their mama's remodeling and I cannot have my son play in my own apartment and be boistrous?? Am I being irrational by being steamed & upset? I am really PISSED off!!

rani is offline Administrator

HK,

We got the same complaints last year. Our caretaker told us that we shouldn't be running the washing machine so early. We're not early risers either so I don't know what he was going on about. Just ignore them!

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

shaz is offline Banned

dont get me going.............our above neighbours have kids too but they are banging at 12midnight, its bizare.....normally the norm is to complain after 11pm for noise...which we do and they keep doing it.........they are so disrespectful............