Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

pram friendly walks???

suzieq is offline Registered User

pram friendly walks???

90% sure of a move to HK with my husband's work. We live on Sydney's northern beaches and I go walking with my 6 mth old every day - god it is going to be hard to give up that lifestyle!!! To keep both of us sane, are there walks that you can take a pram (buggy) on the island / mainland or even parks with jogging tracks etc... Also, can one escape the pollution when hiking on either HK island or the mainland?

Cheers very muchly SQ

Suzie q

muriel is offline Registered User

Bowen Rd

I live on Hk Island in Midlevels and always go to Bowen Road which has a flat tree lined long walk along the side of a mountain. The trees lessen the pollution, but this is Hk so don't expect Sydney air!

I am from Sydney's Eastern Suburbs, and I hate to break it to you, but no beach or walk will ever compare to the freshness and cleanliness of home, but if you are willing to make the effort there are some OK places (Sai Kung is lovely) ....... but many other things that are really great about Hk make up for it!

Good luck with your move!

thanks for your response....

Thanks for your reply sydneysider......can I pester you for some more info!!

Everyone says HK is 'great for little kids' - typically does this mean 'club activities'

As you would appreciate coming from Sydney the pollution is a concern for me with a little one. Lived in London for 6 yrs and it didn't really bother me - of course different stage of my life! I guess HK has a far greater density/climate that exacerbate it....anyways definitely that is the biggest sacrifice, (as is space and climate) what do you/ other mums consider the many 'upsides' of being a 'mum' and bringing kids up in HK. Some days I am filled with excitement about the magnificent opportunity and others I am packing my pants about leaving this lifestyle!!

Given we are looking at a 5 yr plan.....(sure that sounds familiar) just want to extract as much info as I can from HKongers.

Also, can you recommend any 2-3 bed serviced appt complexes with kid friendly facilities, around $50 - $60k mth in midlevel / pok fu lam etc

Many many many thanks for your response.........

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by suzieq

Also, can you recommend any 2-3 bed serviced appt complexes with kid friendly facilities, around $50 - $60k mth in midlevel / pok fu lam etc

There's also the Peak walk.

Serviced Apts - check out the Convention Apts in Wanchai
    http://www.geoexpat.com/resources/co...ed-apartments/
    Last edited by rani; 04-26-2005 at 09:33 PM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

jane01 is offline Registered User

Also give some consideration to Discovery Bay. I live there and think I walk more than my Sydney girl friends. There are no cars allowed in DB (other than hire cars, buses and delivery vans). That means I walk to playgroup, the shops, etc.

There are lots of families in DB. It is quieter and whilst you are out walking your little on is less likely to be breathing in car fumes.

However, you can't escape the pollution anywhere - it is horrible and getting worse. The pollution readings are worse in Mongkok (kowloon side) and Causeway Bay (HK Island), so you'd be best to stay away from those.

I don't think DB has much in the way of serviced apartments, but you would be able to afford something lovely on your proposed budget. Best to have a look when you get here.

Good luck
    Another ex-Sydneysider

PS. In the middle of summer, you might not want to go walking too far...

JennyB is offline Registered User

Advantages of HK for parents and kids:
    1) It's very easy to get domestic help. Affordable help with household chores, including ironing, so that you can devote yourself full-time to childcare, and/or help with childcare; the choice is yours, and this kind of option would be prohibitively expensive in most western countries.
    2) Many apartment blocks have playgrounds and/or swimming pools onsite. There is also the potential to make friends in the same building.
    3) Lots of leisure activities are located within a small area (compared to other cities of similar population which are more spread out), including nightlife for mums and dads with easy transport home late at night. Most urban areas are located within easy reach of country parks.
    4) Exposure to new experiences and cultures should broaden everybody's minds!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I know that as a parent with

I know that as a parent with teenagers my perspective is slightly different but the really big advantage I find of living in Hong Kong is that it is safe. I have three children who are now old enough to be traveling around by themselves. My eldest is nearly 18 and stays out quite late on evenings when she isn’t going to school the next day. I know I have far fewer worries about her getting mugged or raped than my friends living in other cities have about their children.
    Barb

thank you all for your responses

SQ