Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

35 wks pregnant and urgently looking for OB in HK area

yca
    yca is offline Registered User

35 wks pregnant and urgently looking for OB in HK area

I'm 35 weeks pregnant already and my husband and I have decided to come back to HK to have our first baby. We used to be living in New Zealand and have been very satisfied with the antenatal service there. However after I got back to HK, I went to see two local OBs and noticed that they are very rigid on following "standard procedures" here. Things such as episiotomy has become a must just because I am an Asian whereas in NZ, we are told that episiotomy is not necessary. When we tried to discuss our birth plan with the local OBs, they both look at us with shock and wonder why we want to have so much control on the birthing of our baby. Besides, it seems like private OBs are more conservative and they tend to have higher C-section rate.

We would like to have our first baby born naturally and would like to know if there is anyone who can recommend us a reliable/good OB in HK area. We understand that things can be very different between HK and NZ but would still like to look for someone who can listen to our requests better. Appreciate anyone can give us the contact of the OB and possibily share your experience with us. Thank you very much.

Cheers,
    angie

Karishma is offline Registered User

I can thoroughly recommend my OB/GYN Dr Milton Leong. Hes at the Womens Clinic in Central. Fabulous!! I had a natural delivery both times my last one being 5 mths ago. Let me know if u wud like his number!
    Good Luck!

K.

yca

Thanks for your recommendation

Hi Karishma,

Thank you very much for your recommendation. Could you please give me the contact details of your OB? I hope it is not too late for me to change to another OB. Besides, may I ask you which hospital did you deliver your two babies? It will be great if you can let me know how much your OB charges for natural vaginal delivery. Thank you.

Mrs Wiggle is offline Banned

If you prefer a female obstetrician/gynaecologist try Doctor Choy in the same clinic tel 2523 3007. She is wonderfully caring.. Good luck

a mom is offline Registered User

dr milton leong is very good. one thing: his partner, dr andrew doo is also very good and his charges are a bit less. dr leong's first appointment is $1000 then $800, dr doo's is $800 for first apptmnt and $500 for subsequent. i know you don't need many more appointments, but his is to give you an idea of the difference. i am dr doo's patient, but have also met dr leong. didn't find much difference, both very nice, professional, with modern approach.

Karishma is offline Registered User

hi there! i see the womens clinic number has been posted! hes v v good! i have also seen his partner when he has been travelling who is Dr Doo. Also top notch! Yes Dr Doo is a little cheaper. Hes fabulous too! If you want someone a bit younger and he gvs alot alot more time than Dr Leong! i had my baby at the Adventist and he charged abt 58000 for his del plus the 3 day hosp pkg was abt 30000 something...cant rem exact figures but my total was over a 100 K after the Paed visits and all the other tests!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

In my line of work (I’m a la Leche League Leader – breastfeeding support) I meet lots of mothers. I have known pregnant women change doctors as late as 39 weeks.

I think the most important thing about your doctor is that you trust him or her.

If you are uncomfortable with your doctor don’t let the late stage of your pregnancy stop you from finding someone that you will be happier with.

It is important that your birth be as good as you can get – it is a day that you will never forget.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

yca

Hi all,

Thank you for your recommendations and share of your experience. I will try to contact those OBs and see how we feel about them. I guess what we are looking for is someone who has an opened mind which let us have a little more control of our birthing experience instead of following thru the "standard procedure". We trust that many of the OBs in HK are very experienced so they tend to make decision without thinking about how we feel. As I said, things like episiotomy is not a must in many western countries but here, I have been threaten that natural tearing is far more worse and I HAVE to have one no matter what. Besides, we would really like to find an OB who is patient enough to wait for a natural birth to happen instead of rushing into a c-section. Someone who encourages a natural vaginal birth will be nice.

I have taken an alternative birthing class called HypnoBirthing and things like having a peaceful birth is something we are after. When I demand to have direct skin to skin contact with my baby after born, my current OBs all said that I will be too tired and exhausted to do so and sort of laughing at me. Maybe in HK, people tend to let their OBs to make the best decision for them so when we request for something extra, it sounds too weird to them... (my current OBs said that there probably will not be any other OBs in HK can honor our requests)

We will keep looking and hope that we will be able to find an OB that we can be comfortable with. And of course, hope that our baby won't choose to come to this world too early...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast