Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

FT live out dh

noella is offline Registered User

FT live out dh

Hi,

We are looking to employ a LEGAL ful time live out helper as it seems to be the most cost eefective way of getting a baby sitter when we need one. My question is is anyone else in this situation? Our main need for her is to look after the children a few nights a week and a couple of days so what does she do the rest of the time? We live in serviced accomodation so there is not much cleaning. Also as this is our first dh what kind of things are acceptable to ask her to do with the kids?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

Wee Kean is offline Registered User

I was told that having a full time live out helper is illegal. So we have a part time Hong Kong Chinese helper and we got her through the labour department 23174567 / 28663256 (HKD 50 per hour). When you call the labour department, please indicate that you need an English speaking nanny if you cannot speak Mandarin or Cantonese (they are all local), to look after baby for how many hours and how many days, etc. You can ask the helper to take the baby to the park, go to helper and baby group or some baby classes and the usual stuff (feeding, playing, etc)

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

It is not illegal to have a full time live out foreign domestic helper. I have one and she is fully legal in fact we have just renewed her contract.

If you want a live out helper you have to pay for her lodgings and bills. And you have to justify why she needs to live out. This is usually the hard bit. For me it is quite easy. We have a household of six with only three bedrooms – I really can’t manage to give one to a domestic helper. The immigration officer dealing with the case understood this and there was no problem getting all the paper work needed.

On top of all the normal contract details you need the lease of the place the domestic helper will stay (and if she is sub-letting a copy of the contract her landlord has too.) Everything has to be totally legal before the immigration say it is OK.

Good luck,
    Barb

Thank you so much Barb, we have been tearing our hair out trying to find a way round this. We are a family of four in a 2 bed palce so hopefully this will be good enough for immigration!!
    Will keep you posted!

drlbramley is offline Registered User

Barb:
    Would you happen to know if we can have our helper live out when our place has a designated helper's quarter? On the plan it looks OK, but the real room is so tiny it would be inhumane to have someone live in there.
    Thank you.
    Darlene

Barb,

Another question how much can we expect to pay roughly for her board and evrything else? Also what kind of hours do you have your helper for each week?

Many thanks

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I pay an extra $3,000. This is $2,000 for the rent, $ 400 for the bills, $300 for the travel and $300 for the food.

Her working hours are from 8:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 12 noon on Saturdays and also in the evening when required for baby-sitting. Any evening hours will be compensated for extra hours free time during the day.

I think you can write what you want for the working hours as long as they are reasonable. I had a friend who let her helper have most afternoons off to attend a further education course but asked her to work all evening. For me, our house always seems full when my children (often with friends) are home I don’t need an extra person in the evening – just someone to clear up the mess in the morning.

Best wishes,
    Barb

Well we have applied to Immigration and were turned down so we are going to try the labour department and so I have a question for you Wee Kean, what kind of hours do you keep with your helper and what do you ask her to do?

Thanks