Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

baby in posterior position - should I avoid natural birth?"

Skittles is offline Registered User

baby in posterior position - should I avoid natural birth?"

I am 38 weeks pregnant, my doctor told me baby is in posterior position, have done everything to turn her, nothing working, doctor said birth will be very painful and could end in C-section. Has anyone had a similar experience?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

My third baby was in a posterior position and this was my best birth. He turned when I was 9 cm and so I was at that stage for quite a while and I found it painful. But then, I’ve found all my births painful. Once the baby had turned I went to 10 cm and then he came out really quickly.

I’m very glad I didn’t have a C-section because afterwards I was able to walk around without pain and also pick up my two older children – something that I couldn’t have done with surgery.

I’d try for a normal birth because they are much quicker to recover from.

Best wishes,
    Barb

kar
    kar is offline Registered User

My daughter was in the posterior position. I did end up having a c-section but I don't think that the position was necessarily the reason as I also had a c-section with my son. For some reason, I just didn't dialate. Anyway, after being very scared of having a c-section, I found that the worry was unfounded.

At the end of the day whether you deliver vaginally or via a c-section, you'll have a beautiful baby to love.

Good luck!

Slee is offline Registered User

The majority of OP babies turn during labour, so don't write off natural birth too quickly. From memory, sitting on a birthing ball for as long as possible every day is meant to work. Maybe you could talk to Hulda at Annerley Midwives for some advice on what you can do to help the baby settle into a better position. I know she'll talk to you on the phone without wanting any payment so you've nothing to lose! Her web site is www.amidwife.com. 'Optimal fetal positioning' is one technique which was developed by a NZ midwife and has proven to be extremely sucessful in lowering the rates of OP babies in studies.

Slee is offline Registered User

Here's a guide to optimal feotal positioning:

http://www.horns.freeserve.co.uk/ofp.htm

saralee is offline Registered User

I delivered naturally with posterior positioning without too much difficulty. I did however labour fast and delivered a 2Kg baby which probably made it a whole lot easier!!