Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

baby's sitting position

gini is offline Registered User

baby's sitting position

My baby is 10 months old. Without support, he used to sit up straight but now he slouches over with his lower back slouched. Is he just being lazy or does he have back problems? Also, at this age he still can't get into the sitting position from the laying position. He can't crawl either but loves to stand. He sometimes dislike sitting. Any advice or sharing?

jools is offline Registered User

Hi,
    I'm not sure about your son's back situation, though if my children ever slouched I used to straighten them up and jokingly say 'Come on let's sit with a straight back please.' It didn't happen very often so not sure that I've been much help there. With regards to the crawling, in my experience children will do things when they are ready. My son used to love standing, even as early as three months he would stand on my lap, with me supporting him under his arms, and bounce his legs up and down. When it came to moving he didn't budge at all until he was 12 months. He used to stay exactly where we left him and showed no desire whatsoever to move. Once he was a year old he started to crawl and then walked at 13 months. My daughter on the other hand crawled at 10 months and walked at 12 months. Children are all very different and reach all of these milestones at different ages. As my husband said at the time, if you think walking is one of the hardest things you have to learn in your life. It takes alot of brain and muscle co-ordination, that as adults we take for granted. I really wouldn't worry about the crawling, you son will do it when he is good and ready. My friends son didn't walk until he was 2 years old. He shuffled on his bottom everywhere and was efficient at getting what he wanted (so why walk?) OK this is an extreme case, but he is now walking and running just like other children his age. Your son will get there.

I hope that helps.

Jools

chanvivian is offline Registered User

jools,
    may i ask about the case of your friend, who didnt walk until 2 yrs old, is there any other difference in his development in other aspects?! I mean did he develpo slower in all other aspects e.g. language? people told me that crawling and walking are esential in helping the brain to develop properly.

jools is offline Registered User

Hi,
    No his development in all other areas was completely normal, in fact his language skills were above average; he was and still is a very talkative little fellar. In my experience there are alot of people out there who are only too willing to scare monger about a child's development. As I have already said (unless there is an issue that needs to be discussed with a paediatrician) children will jump through the development hoops when they are good and ready. The difficulty alot of parents have, is other parents or so called 'experts' telling them what their child should be doing and when.

With my second child, I threw away all the books that said what she should be doing when and focussed on enjoying my child and celebrating her development.

Jools :cheerlead

JennyB is offline Registered User

My daughter (now 19 months) was walking before she managed to sit up from lying down, yet she could pull up from sitting to standing months earlier. So you're not the only one there. It was quite funny because we lowered the mattress in her cot as soon as she started trying to pull herself up on furniture, but it was months before she did that in bed because she was stuck lying down! She never crawled but went straight to walking at about 11 months. I think that might be more and more common nowadays because we're advised to put babies on their backs to sleep because of SIDS, so many babies aren't comfortable on their tummies where they best learn to crawl and roll to a sitting position. But if you are seriously concerned then it can't do any harm to discuss it with your doctor at the next checkup, to get reassurance from a professional that your baby is perfectly normal.