Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Baby Eczema

mummybee is offline Registered User

Ok, it is 5.30am in the morning, I have just fed my baby and now "mummy" time...

Lylah, Haereme - I too find Vaseline works best, but my baby seems to be developing a reaction to it after a month's use. Is this possible??? By reaction, I mean red spots over skin that has vaseline. The vaseline my paed. gave is called White Vaseline (soft paraffin) from Universal Pharmaceuticals and when I called up their pharmacists, I was told I have put too much on my baby, so much so that the skin couldn't "breathe". I did put heaps on - a v. thick layer till skin glistens - 2-3 times a day but isn't that what we are supposed to do? How much do you use?

HunHun - I bought Cetaphil 2 days ago and I LOVE how "wet" my baby's skin feels after just using it for a day. However, again, she seems to be reacting to it, with red spots appearing on the side of the body that has cetaphil (I put on her right tummy, right hand and right leg to test). This time I didn't slather heaps on - just a thin layer.

This brings me to the more important question: since she is reacting to both vaseline and cetaphil, I am thinking maybe she is not reacting to the ingredients in both per se, but that her skin is so unstable that she reacts to anything I put on her. What do you eczema experts think? Do your babies first react then get accustomed to your moisturisers? For the past 2 days, I put no moisturiser on her at all and her skin has become sandpaper-like and thickened in various places, especially her legs. Sigh...

Suz - you are the second person to recommend Dr. Lynn Lim to me. When you said NAET works, do you mean your baby is COMPLETELY CURED? The treatment sounds totally bizarre and has no scientific basis. I am slightly skeptical since my rationale is that she would be rather famous if she can cure a condition that is supposedly uncurable but manageable to the rest of the world. Having said that, I am thinking of trying her out once and see for myself. Can I ask how old your baby was when he/she started treatment? and how much did the inital consult cost? Will I see (some) results after the first consult? I have been to too many alternative doctors who said they were confident in treating my baby's eczema after at most 3 sessions but why don't I come "one more session" to make sure everything clears, bla, bla. And I am not looking for a cure really. I will be happy if her flareups are reduced or less intense.

SeanMa - Thanks for your advice. Now that my baby has started solids, her rashes has also moved from face to her body. Her legs are especially bad - rubbery, sandpaper patches. Elomet coming to the rescue again. I simply hate using that stuff, but works like a miracle though. I was told by my paed NOT to dilute it with any cream and to stop using it once the rashes clear. My paed allergist in Australia, on the other hand, said to continue use for a further week after the skin feels "normal". What do you, and other parents, do? HunHun, did diluting the steriod works equally well, as in the rashes clear as quickly, in your case?

Thanks!!

hunhun is offline Registered User

HI Mummybee,

Did you get the Cetaphil Wash or Cetaphil Cream? The Cetaphil Wash needs to be rinse away (despite its instruction says it can be wiped away), as it is a soap alternative. My son tried Cetaphil cream before, amongst tonnes of other brands...but we found E45 the best and the only one that truely helps. It's a pain getting E45 though as it is only sold in England. Someone told me it is sold in Watson's. But I have asked many branches and they don't carry it. We stock in loads of them whenever we have a chance to get them in England. Maybe some online shops may ship them to HK? Another alternative is Dermaveen cream and wash, an Australian brand sold in the chemist counter in Mannings. We found it not as good as Cetaphil and E45, but it's our close seconds.

Hope this helps.

Hunhun

CAILLOU

CASPER

Mummybee,

From my limited knowledge, Steroid cream like Elomet should not be diluted with moisturising creams.

It's the Immunomodulators (see the wikipedia clips which I posted yesterday) like Elidel, Protopic that should be diluted.

Hunhun

CAILLOU

CASPER

mummybee is offline Registered User

hunhun, I got the cetaophil cream. it is now sitting on the shelf. She definitely reacts to it - yesterday I put a tiny amt on one arm again and lo and behold, skin became red shortly after! I am now restricting her moisturising routine to a minimum of bath oil from Graham's Natural Alternatives and find her skin actually imrpoves dramatically and supple without anything else. Maybe I have been putting too much stuff on her. Maybe the humidity has sth to do with it.

Oh dear, sorry to have recommended Cetaphil. We went through a period of trying all the recommended products and methods and we found out that products and methods that worked wonders on other children doesn't necessarily work with ours too. I am so glad to hear that you have now found the right products for your baby.

I found the humidity a problem too. On humid days, I would switch on the dehumidifier in the flat, and especially his room when he is out playing.:babydustpink

Sean Ma is offline Registered User

Hi Mummybee,

My paed also told me not to dilute the steroid. In fact, he asked me not to put anything else on the rashes within 2 hours of applying Elomet. But I was also worried because the medicine was so strong (even my fingers felt numb everytime I used it) and the area that we had to cover was very big. I tried diluting it once and it still worked (rashes disappeared the next day), so I've been diluting it ever since. I don't know the reason for not diluting the steroid, but I've always only used it on the area with rashes and stopped when the rashes cleared. The reason I was so concerned was because my father (who was a doctor) warned us that elomet thins the skin and so should be used only sparingly.

As for moisturiser, we used Mustela's Stellatopia cream when there were no rashes and DML Forte (recommended by our paed) for days with rash. I didn't try out different creams since ours seemed to work fine (my son's eczema didn't sting/turn red when we put DML on). For the first 3 years, we put moisturiser on everyday, even in summer. We also used the bath lotion for the same brand and the bath oil only for very dry / cold days. (We've changed to plain old Johnson's Baby for 5 months now.) We've recently introduced a teensy bit of soya sauce in his food and he hasn't broken out at all. I guess we just have to wait it out until his body adapts. Hope it goes well for you and your little one.

sunrays is offline Registered User

Dear mums

I don't have a child but joined this site as I am due in October. I just happened to see this thread and as it is something that effected me all my life I wanted to share my experience with you all.

I had very bad eczema since I was a baby. The red scaly patched oozed and bled causing numerous sleepless nights and embarrassment as they appeared on my face, neck and hands. It was awful and others just could not understand the relief I got from scratching what looked like self inflicted wounds.

My mother was also told that I would grow out of it. I tried EVERYTHING....steroids, E45 cream, homeopathic medicine, chinese medicine, toothpaste, oatmeal and any other tip I could pick up.

I have not read all these threads but scanned through and it seems that many of you are going through the same with your child. I know that steroid cream reduce the redness and will work if you don't scratch....but you do! It does not solve the problem, I think it is a cosmetic solution. Also they thin the skin and get stuck in your liver. They may be useful for some but if it is a severe case and you do not grow out of it, they don't help.

I am convinced it is all to do with diet. I was tested for allergies....not by a doctor but it was a more "hippy dippy" way when I was at a spa in Thailand. It used my energy fields. I was not sure but as they say "nothing ventured nothing gained". A long list of foods came up that I should avoid amongst which was dairy. I cut out everything just to try the theory and it worked. Since that trip to Thailand almost two years ago my eczema just vanished. It really was like magic. After 32 years of suffering it had gone, just like that.

Since then I have visited Graeme-Stuart Bradshaw at the Integrated Medicine Institutein Central and although his prescription did not work for me, he did do the allergy testing and dairy came up as something I am very strongly allergic to.

http://www.imi.com.hk/

If nothing is working for your child, you may want to expolore this route. If you want any more info I am more than happy to help as I know how frustrating it can be to live with eczema.

Sumei is offline Registered User

Oilatum products

hi,

my son was diagnosed with ezema very young but we managed to keep it under control with all the usual recommendations AND ensuring his skin was moisturised - we use (and still do today even though he doesn't show signs of ezema any more) oilatum bath oil in his bath and also oilatum body lotion post bath (oilatum is suppose to be chemical free, recommended by his paedi).....I get his supply of Oilatum products from Watson's at Pacific Place...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast