Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3 1/2 year old-Basically eating nothing

deepsukhi is offline Registered User

Unhappy 3 1/2 year old-Basically eating nothing

My toddler is eating nothing at all. His appetite seems to be decreasing everyday. He has always been a very picky eater and used to only eat plain rice, plain yogurt, milk and chicken wings.

During the last month, he developed a cough which is not getting well even after two courses of medications. He always used to love his formula but he does not finish it all these days. Every morning he vomits out all the formula right after he drinks it. I have placed him in a whole day kindergarten so that he might start eating seeing that the other kids in the class are eating however, the teacher calls me everyday and tells me that he does not eat at all or just eat little bit of the rice.

He is very active sometimes I think that he might be hyperactive - ADHD as he seems to be driven by motor and he jumps around on the sofa, runs around in the flat and he cannot concentrate on one task at all.

I have taken him to so many different doctors but nobody seems to help him. They say that if he is active and running around, I shouldn't be worrying. But as a mother I will be worrying because he is basically eating nothing and is running around whole day so actively. He needs to take in the calories if he is burning so many calories running around.

Please advise what should I do. I am very desperate about this.

a mom is offline Registered User

I feel for you! My little guy went through something similar when he was about 2 1/2.Oh, and he was also going through a long bout of cold/cough at the time and I'm sure that played a role in his loss of appetite. His doctor suggested that it was uncomfortable for him to have food in his stomach when he was coughing, could've been getting queasy.

I'd say keep getting the cough checked out to make sure it hasn't become something worse than just a cough. And keep trying! I got so desperate I started letting him have junk just to get some calories in there. Slowly I started using the junk as rewards for eating his "real" food. It was awful, and then it passed.

Also, you might try a naturopath. I've been taking my son to one for a couple of months (due to constant cycle of cough/cold/fever) and I really do think that her treatment is efffective. Good luck!

Reena is offline Registered User

Thumbs up

When my son makes a fuss, I put on his favourite cartoon. While he's glued watching the cartoon (sitting in one place), I try feeding him then. So far that has been working for me. Try it.

scr
    scr is offline Registered User

I know it's really tough to see that your kid is eating nothing at all. If the doctors say he's doing all right then he must be. As a child I was exactly the same..I remeber what a hard time I gave my mom !! I would eat nothing for days and then nibble on something one day. That seemed to keep me going for the next few days ! As I grew older it got better. 'casue my parents enrolled me in dance lessons and swimming lessons and I started eating well. But that was when I was 10 years old. I was still picky but atleast I was eating.

Now I see my niece is exactly the same. She seems to eat nothing at all and doesn't even have favourites. Even junk food. But she looks healthy, just slim and the docs say she is fine.

I know I haven't really helped with your problem but hope what I've written makes you feel better.

Valencia is offline Registered User

Some tips for you

Hello Deepsukhi,

Sorry to hear about your son's not eating. My daughter is 4 and very much like your son, hyperactive, very picky eater. In June, she had a fever, blisters on her throat and cough. She ate and drank very little. I insisted she had fruits despite her cough to improve her appetite. Since your son is vomiting the formula everyday and not eating, I guess he has not recovered from the cold yet. You can ask the doctor for medicine to stop vomiting. For less serious cases, I give her paracetomol. As for the cough, you can ask for other cough syrups and expectorants. Fluimucil 100mg can clear up the mucus and available at drugstores. To improve his appetite, you may try hawthorn flakes and drink, sour plum drink. Also, there are packed traditional Chinese herbal tea for infants you can get at Chinese herbal stores. but the ingredients may scare you.
    Children and adults lose appetite when they are ill, especially with oily food. If possible, bring him lunch or prepare home cooked meals or bread for him to bring to school. The food his school gave him may be oily. I have discovered the macaroni my daughter has at school is oily. I suggest Knorr instant macaroni which is oil free with ham, sweet raisin bun and oil free noodles. You may try Mcdonald bacon muffin with egg, but not the sausage one which is very oily. Make sure he has plenty of fruits and water and exercise which I found are crucial to my daughter's appetite.

Hope you'll find the above helpful.

bryantab is offline Registered User

Thumbs up

My kids' doctor in the states used to reassure me that my son would not starve himself to death. When he was hungry, he would eat.

They key is keep offering him good, wholsome food. Not just garbage because you hope it will entice him. That way when he does decide he is hungry, he will get some food value.

I have stuck by this theory and both my boys( 2.5 & 5.5) will eat real food in a restaurant. Not just just "kid food".

Good luck and hang in there

P.S. I should add that if you are concerned that lack of appetite is due to a medical condition you should seek a doctors opinion.

carang is offline Registered User

i second the last reply....
    it is generally ingrained in people not to let themselves starve to death if there is food around(of course eating disorders are the exception)...
    i know it is hard, but when your child is hungry, he will eat...

there is a chapter in the children's book "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume about a boy who decides that he doesn't need to eat... it lasted for about a week...it seems to be a stage that many kids go through...

don't worry too much, if he has energy and is active and otherwise happy, he'll eat eventually!

good luck!

deepsukhi is offline Registered User

Wink 3 1/2 years old

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies. It's very reassuring. I think you guys are all right that kids don't starve themselves to death. I will just go with this theory. I got another suggestion somewhere which I'm gonna try with him. My son loves ice-cream. Somebody suggested I should make fresh fruit lollies for him. He'll think that he's getting a treat while he'll take in the fruits which would be healthy for him. I just have to wait until his cough goes away. Hopefully soon enough.

Question for A MOM - Could you please let me know which naturpath are you seeing. I would love my son to be treated naturally. Please let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast