Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Adventist/Matilda-do they let newborns babies breastbeed right away @ delivery suite?

mamamau is offline Registered User

Adventist/Matilda-do they let newborns breastbeed before placenta is delivered?

Meaning when the newborns are really really freshly born - even before the placenta is delivered.

I've read from books that this is pretty standard practice in the US and that it is beneficial for both the mother and the baby, but it seems to be quite a foreign concept in HK. Is it true? Does anyone have any positive experience in this regard at the Adventist or Matilda?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by mamamau; 08-15-2005 at 05:22 PM.

val
    val is offline Registered User

i fed my bb right away after delivery in the operation room of adventists.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Yeah, at Matilda I breastfed immediately, and also at Prince of Wales (a public hospital).

In both cases, neither baby was all that eager a nurser. Both sucked a few minutes, and then latched off. It was also a bit awkward w/ the first one, because I had never breastfed before. So, it's nice enough, but for me not an ecstatic 20 minute long heartfelt bonding act.

Last edited by loupou; 08-16-2005 at 09:24 AM. Reason: wanted to add more

mamamau is offline Registered User

Thanks, ladies!

rani is offline Administrator

I got to hold D when he was born for a few minutes before they took him away to get cleaned up. Honestly, I don't think I could have nursed him, I was physically exhausted. I didn't even want to move from the labor suite. The nurse came to get me a couple of times and offered to wheel me to my room but I refused to get up.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

scr
    scr is offline Registered User

my experience is with Queen Mary...could not get out of bed to nurse cause I has surgery and was not allowed to get out of bed for 24 hours. Baby was in special unit due to maternal fever. I didn't hold my first born for more than 2 days after delivery let alone nurse him ! Had a couple of tough times in the begining and as far as I am concerned the hospital did everything it could to prevent breastfeeding !! But I went on to breastfeed my son till he was 34 months old and thoroughly enjoyed it. So don't be too anxious if things don't go the way you want it to. I too had been hoping to hold and nurse my baby as soon as he was born. But when he was born he was whisked away quickly to make sure he was alright as his heartrate had gone down in between. They barely showed him to me.