Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Any experience with Kiangsu Chekiang local kindergarten?

run4fun is offline Registered User

I only have their Chinese names. One of them is Ms. "Li Jing" (in Madarin). She teaches K3B in the morning and K3G in the afternoon.

I think if you aim for ESF, and if maintianing your child's English level is a concern, then go for Starters. I am betting on the fact that I could get my sons in ESF later because I am a graduate of ESF myself. It's not without risk though.

This is the problem for us parents today in Hong Kong. Sending them to a Chinese School, then we have to worry about the kids' English standard. Sending them to International school, and we have to send them to places like "Better Chinese" over the weekends. Can't Hong Kong have happy schools that could maintain the balance without breaking our bank account??

mamadaddad likes this.

newbies is offline Registered User

Thought those kindies with 50-50 Chinese/English is a better option i.e. Victoria and may be few others that I have not heard of yet. That is my first priority for now. I know the response is typically overwhelming there...

jmonkeypuppy is offline Registered User

Run4fun,

Totally agree with you!

Also, much .... much .... appreciated for your advice! But still, if you know anything about "Bambino", please let me know.

jmonkey

Quote Originally Posted by run4fun
    I only have their Chinese names. One of them is Ms. "Li Jing" (in Madarin). She teaches K3B in the morning and K3G in the afternoon.

I think if you aim for ESF, and if maintianing your child's English level is a concern, then go for Starters. I am betting on the fact that I could get my sons in ESF later because I am a graduate of ESF myself. It's not without risk though.

This is the problem for us parents today in Hong Kong. Sending them to a Chinese School, then we have to worry about the kids' English standard. Sending them to International school, and we have to send them to places like "Better Chinese" over the weekends. Can't Hong Kong have happy schools that could maintain the balance without breaking our bank account??

jmonkeypuppy is offline Registered User

Most say Victoria is good. But personally I think it is quite commercial. It knows well of what the parents want (rather than those of the kids) and how the parents can and may pay in $$$, and then, tries hard to feed the kids accordingly. I just don't like its commercial kind of "business"!

Quote Originally Posted by newbies
    Thought those kindies with 50-50 Chinese/English is a better option i.e. Victoria and may be few others that I have not heard of yet. That is my first priority for now. I know the response is typically overwhelming there...

pradie is offline Registered User

hi, just read your post... my son is now in victoria, k1, he was there since pre-nursery. i also sent him to lingnan kindergarten to learn cantonese and he said he prefers victoria. cantonese is mainly for him to be able to speak and understand the language enough for him to get around afterall we're living in hk and indefinitely. he understand alot more cantonese now since he started last sep. we intend to let him continue at lingnan until next summer.

his first language is english and it's important to my husband and i that he knows chinese as my husband who is chinese only speaks english and nothing else. i agree victoria is quite commercial but don't let it bother you too much, i never felt obligated nor had time to deal with it, most of the time, i just ignore them. i'm a working mum, so i hardly had a chance to send him to school and in the process get to know his teachers better. but the teachers are friendly and i can call them after class if i have any concerns re my son. i noticed my son is more willing to speak putonghua with me after he attended victoria although with a little coaxing. the class is half english and half putonghua and right now they are teaching phonics which my son seems to enjoy very much. he always asked me to test him on the phonics, also i'm amaze he is able to recognise upper and lower case alphabets and is able to write most of the alphabets and numbers. i think at the end of the day, it pretty much depends on what we want for our child. for us, the choice of schools are limited as putonghua is a must and there are not many schools we can choose from and much as I like the ESF, it is out of the question as i don't think they are strong in putonghua. so it's either victoria, kiangsu or int'l school and even then there are only a few int'l school with good enough putonghua. We had a choice of victoria or kiangsu but chose the former, a matter of personal preference as we prefer the school environment in victoria vs kiangsu. I recently met a young japanese american lady who was visiting hk, her parent insist she learns japanese while growing up in new york, she hated it then but is now very thankful that her mother did not cave in. she is fluent in both languages and currently living in tokyo and now translate for his mainly japanese speaking mother. Anyways, as long as I’m sure my son is not stress out in school, i’m letting him continue with 2 schools until he goes to k3.

future mommy is offline Registered User

Hello to all the mommies out there!!

From what I think, if you really want your children to learn english, you can send them to Starters (Tai Hang). There's a great opportunity for your child to get accept to ESF later on.

run4fun:
    The teacher your reffering to is Mrs. Anna of P1. She came back after her vacation in Sweden. Do come and visit the area in your free time. The nursery teacher is Mrs. Alla, she is warm and loving with the children. She is working with Mrs. Jacky, still young but funny, nice , warm and very approachable person. You can trust your children with her. It's all I can say.
    Do try to visit the school. I knew them all cuz my nephew is going there.

One more thing, starters have afternoon classes for Lower KG and Primary 1, it starts at 1:30-400. MWF learning through play session, TTH phonics and they also have mandarin class in a different class, that's every Tues-thurs.

Lastly, I recommend Starters Tai hang. They're very kind and very considerate.:cheerlead

kiwimango_88 is offline Registered User

Hi,

does anyone know if the primary section of Victoria School is any good?

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Hi, wondering if there is anybody here who is not conversant in Chinese and who is sending their kid/s to Kiangsu & Chekiang's local stream... I'm interested to know how you are supporting your child's studies --i.e., are you hiring an after-school tutor to help out with homework? Do the teachers at K&C give you a brief translation in English of what the homework is so that you can follow up? Do they provide school notices or announcements in English? I really like the idea of sending our son to the local stream so that he can learn Mandarin, but am just concerned that we might not be able to properly help him with homework... All feedback welcome. Thanks! :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast