Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Kinder U?

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

I also have a problem with Thomas's answer for the Home materials.

My DD started there from 4.5 months up until now (she is now 14 months). i love the place and she likes it too. Although Thomas said that the material is not mandatory but if you don't want to purchase the set you have to pay extra( I think it is around HKD170/month) to get the material. So actually it is a MUST to pay extra for the material.
    I did purchase the material set but I just want to clarify this point. I never have a impression that we have a choice not to buy the material in set or pay every month.

Bear Lau:

cristletips is offline Registered User

When i saw the video on youtube, KinderU intrigued me. But it had me wondering if the babies are simply memorizing the look of the words that have been flashed in front of them. I wonder if I walked up and scribbled a word would the baby be able to read it?

Can anyone who has written in the earlier posts let us know if their baby can read any word that is written on the board. I havent read anything about it on the earlier posts.

And I dont mean 3 year olds and up. Becuase i know of several 3 year olds that can read. It's not that unusual.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by cristletips View Post
    When i saw the video on youtube, KinderU intrigued me. But it had me wondering if the babies are simply memorizing the look of the words that have been flashed in front of them. I wonder if I walked up and scribbled a word would the baby be able to read it?

Can anyone who has written in the earlier posts let us know if their baby can read any word that is written on the board. I havent read anything about it on the earlier posts.

And I dont mean 3 year olds and up. Becuase i know of several 3 year olds that can read. It's not that unusual.
    My understanding of the 'reading' that a 'baby' does is this:
    It is memorisation. In exactly the same way as learning Chinese characters is memorisation, since there is no phonetic system.

At KinderU, the babies are taught to look at an English word as a whole and recognise it as if it were an ideogram. Then, later (I don't know exactly; I'm guessing around 3-4yrs old) they will be able to
    decipher new words based on experience (unlike Chinese characters). So, for example, they've learned the words 'cat', 'hand', 'daddy' and 'shirt'. They would then be able, apparently, to logically work out how to read 'caddy', 'sand', 'dirt' and so on. This is helped along by the teaching of phonics (Letterland) from about 2 years.

That's my understanding. Seems sensible. I have no evidence yet that it works; my daughter has just started (a bit late, it seems).

swongsk is offline Registered User

just been to their seminar (kinder U), quite good. waitlisting for their class on sat. also did free trial at kindyroo & kindermusik.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Lau View Post
    I also have a problem with Thomas's answer for the Home materials.

My DD started there from 4.5 months up until now (she is now 14 months). i love the place and she likes it too. Although Thomas said that the material is not mandatory but if you don't want to purchase the set you have to pay extra( I think it is around HKD170/month) to get the material. So actually it is a MUST to pay extra for the material.
    I did purchase the material set but I just want to clarify this point. I never have a impression that we have a choice not to buy the material in set or pay every month.
    Received the following from KinderU

The purchase of materials in NOT mandatory. There is also NO EXTRA to be paid if you decide NOT TO buy the materials. We will make this point very clear in the upcoming seminars. Many apologies for the confusion. However, we do trust that the materials do help with the child's learning if used consistently in the correct way.

How do babies read?

For parents who are interested in the subject, please read "How to teach your baby to read" by Dr. Glenn Doman or come and attend the KinderU seminar. We will explain the mechanics and logistics to you clearly.

KinderU
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

rani is offline Administrator

KinderU's response:

Dear Parents

KinderU Appreciates Your Comments
    KinderU will comb-through comments made by parents and make improvements where necessary. We apologize if some of our staff are "green" and this is why we ask parents to write directly to [email protected] if they are not happy with answers given by our staff at the front desk. If we need them to answer all questions, we will need to send them to US and Japan for
    training. They will get there but it may take some time. (We will hurry them along.)

Questions and Answers

Parents' questions come in all forms, sizes and shapes and we will try
    harder to train our staff better to satisfy the most demanding parent.
    KinderU seminars on the subject of prenatal education, 0-2 early education and essence of kindergarten program ARE free-of-charge and all of them last around 120 minutes. Please save your questions and ask them at these seminars or write to [email protected].

Rules at KinderU

Parents and KinderU are both learning, both the hard way and the easy way. KinderU policies evolved over the years taking into account industry practices of established educational establishments. KinderU is always willing to listen to reasonable suggestions. Parents who managed a school or business before will be sympathetic towards why we set certain rules in certain ways. Whilst children have fun at KinderU, KinderU IS NOT a playgroup and does not operate in that fashion.

E.g. While some parents consider "seminar before enrollment" to be snobbish and unnecessary (in the playgroup world), others consider that this weeds out those parents who have no time and no commitment on right brain education.

"Transferring classes, absences, refund policy, etc." are sensitive issues. When a school has over 700 children enrolled into close to 1000 courses per month, 10% requests on "Transferring classes, absences, refund, etc." can cause logistic havocs. Parents' understanding and support will always be appreciated by KinderU.

"Maybe you could do a search on the forums too, people have complained about KinderU and a few other centers here for a few years, but it's funny how everyone still learns the hard way."

THERE IS NOTHING FUNNY HERE :) KINDERU TREATS COMPLAINTS MORE SERIOUS THAN ANYOTHER SCHOOL WITH SINCERITY. BTW, KINDERU PARENTS ARE JUST AS SMART AS ALL OTHER PARENTS. IF WE DO NOT TREAT OUR JOB SINCERELY, NO PARENT WILL
    STAY.

KinderU's Teachers

"Make sure you ask how long the teacher has been teaching. Several parents discovered that some of the teachers there have NEVER taught before. No surprise in Hong Kong, but always find a teacher who has taught for at least 2 years or more before your child becomes their guinea pig."

Teaching an active, action packed program where teachers speak with strong voice, dance, sing and roll around with your child for two consecutive years, 5.5 hours a day is likely to boredom even to the best teacher. KinderU sees staff turnover to be reasonable and KU teachers are well-sought after in the industry. They are young and we encourage them to take a serious teaching career and join our own KG or other KG. We even promoted some teacher to management level in the group.

It is true that some of our best teachers never taught before BUT they became the best teachers. Many of the teachers in Hong Kong taught all their life and they are boring, lifeless and ready for the dump. We started someone last month and she is now one of the best performing teachers. "Length" of time in the industry is not a matter of concern when it comes to teaching a child (0-6) to learn in a fun, factual and joyous manner.

Too Commercial?

KinderU needs to turn a profit to pay HR & Hong Kong rental in the heart of Causeway Bay. Profit is a motive and initiative and is the motto of Hong Kong spirit. KinderU starts with prenatal education and we are proud to know a child before they were born and now we see them in our kindergarten starting K1 in 2007/08 (KinderU started BabyPlus in 2005).

Conclusion

If we have done well, praises are welcomed and appreciated. If we have made mistakes, your fair criticisms are also appreciated. Cynical comments break the spirit of those who are trying hard to make a difference in standard Hong Kong style early education. Sob....sob.....

KinderU

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Horatio is offline Registered User

KinderU is right!

It is basically a profit making institution, and we all have the freedom to decide whether to enroll in kinderU or not. If you believe in the product then you have the right to enroll and don't complain about their policies etc. If not, then it is a simple matter of not enrolling in kinderU and contributing to their profit.

Just my 2 cents.

talk2amy is offline Registered User

It's been a couple of months now since all the KinderU controversy. Has anyone noticed any positive changes since? I am thinking of sending my twins (5 months old) there but I am hesitant especially as I have heard nothing good about the place! I also disagree with their refund policy. I think if the child is sick and cannot make a class, a refund should be given as this is out of the parent's (and child's) control. It is not a matter of discipline.

Anyway, would be good to hear something positive about KinderU (if there is anything to hear)...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast