Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Dental work during pregnancy.

sunnysideup is offline Registered User

Dental work during pregnancy.

Dear all, I think I will need some dental work done while pregnant. I have a crown that has become loose and it starts to hurt when I chew. I think I will definitely require anaethetics for this job.

My GynOb says it's okay to do it anytime and with anaethetics, just avoid the X-rays. But I am concerned whether this advice is correct as my dentist seems to think I should wait till I am in my 2nd trimester.

Appreciate your advice.

Sunny

mamaS is offline Registered User

I was not pregnant yet when my crown/tooth starts to hurt so we had it xray and open up the crown, to find out that the small tooth inside is not repairable anymore due to cavities. we have no choice but extract the tooth.

My advice is do it soon while the inside tooth can still be fix. i guess yours was not root canal too that's why it has pain.

You ask the dentist what are the options if he opens the crown, what IF the small tooth is badly damaged, what's the next step? no no to extraction as it's painful and requires surgery. Can he not just "seal" ( i don't know how) the crown so no water nor food will enter?

Seek dentist' second opinion. Gargle with hot water with salt. Don't chew on that tooth.

I don't know if i have help you with my advice, i always have cavities too so teeth are a major issue for me. Take care. Let me know what did you end up with?

drraylee is offline Registered User

Dental treatment during pregnancy

I got a message from Rani asking me if I could give some advice about dental treatment during pregnancy.

As a rule of thumb, it's not advisable to do any elective treatment during pregnancy. However, if there is a urgent need (e.g. toothache or infection)for any particular treatment, then a consultation with the OBGYN will be called for to see whether dental treatment could be performed or if any modification is needed.

The key for a successful dental treatment is to tackle the problem early on. There is always the risk that the dental problem would worsen with time and become a complicating factor for the pregnancy.

Take care.

Thanks drraylee for your advice. I have spoken to my dentist and he will fix it when I reach my 2nd trimester. It is deteriorating but at a slow speed, however, I am sure it is not gonna hold until after I give birth.

Thanks Rani for seeking extra help for me!!

MamaS, thank you for your advice. My dentist did say he will need to see what he can do once he revealed my real tooth underneath. It's actually a major work as the loose crown is linked to 2 other teeth. It's one of the 3-teeth bridge (2 teeth with crowns supporting 1 overhanging teeth in the middle)!! So this is gonna cost me for sure. I think I will probably just redo the bridge. My alternative is to do an implant for that middle tooth then put 2 crowns for teeth on either side. I am not sure yet. Do you have any advice as you seem to be "experienced" in the oral department. :)

How about the cost of such treatment?

Sunny

mamaS is offline Registered User

I had exactly the same bridge too, 3 pieces, middle is empty. Mine was the the lower left back, so what we did was extracted the last one, middle is empty, the next one was root canal then new cap. I can't remember exactly how much it cost me, but the insurance paid 60% of the root canal, i have to shoulder the one cap cost.

Where is your dentist? my first one was in Central, and consultation cost alone is $500, not to mention the xray and medicine, though the clinic looks high class and really clean. I didn't have it done as i want a second opinion.

Then, i was walking in North Point and saw a dentist clinic, i asked and the consultation is only $50, no harm done, just ask what his opinion. The clinic was really small, but the doctor is good, i have it scheduled and done with him, he even ask me to come on a Sunday (no clinic) after 2 days after the extraction just to check the healing process. My issue was the cost so i have to look for a cheaper dentist as i know bridge here is pricey.

Anyways, going back to you, i suggest you clean it thouroughly well, are you using an oral irrigator? or water jet? if not, then you have to floss that bridge to make sure it's clean. Do you do that? i have a bridge floss here if you don't have, i can give it to you, i got it in one sachet, but you don't need a lot, it's re-usable, it's like a letter P or Q, shape where you insert the floss.

Thanks MamaS. Dental work can be so expensive especially if you see a dentist in Central. I did see a dentist in Central and he made it worse by pulling it (to check if it is loose). He quoted me 10K for bridge work and 4K for each crown. I don't exactly know how much the whole thing will cost but I am sure it will be bloody expensive.

My HK dentist has a beautifully furnished clinic too, very fancy very nice. But I am sure we are paying for it too haha. Since it is so expensive in HK and I do know an excellent dentist back in my home country (nearby in Asia). I shall fly back for his help. He did my bridge 15 years ago so it's a pretty good going. Other crowns he did for me at the same time are still doing well too and I think he is a great craftman. I know my home dentist is the best because I stupidly went for other dentists when I lived abroad and had bad experience both times.

I am also glad to find out that my insurance will cover my dental work abroad, which works out a lot cheaper (as my home dentist is not quoting me excessively) and I know I am guaranteed quality work this time.

I know of the dental floss you are talking about and thank you for your offer. But since my HK dentist used it last time (for the first time) and actually made things worse. So I think I will stick to brushing as normal and start the new care routine when my new bridge is done.

Thank you very much for your advice. It's nice to bump into you on this forum as not many people have 3-teeth bridge like us.

mamaS, you mentioned you are not pregnant YET, does that mean you are trying now? If so, I wish you all the best and keep me posted if you can!

Take care.

Sunny