Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Use of Public Hospital

carang is offline Registered User

that doesn't seem to make any sense...
    i think that the problem is that your wife is from the mainland.
    the Hk authorities are terribly racist when it comes to mainlanders(my local hubby would agree completely)

many many many many people here have spouses with different nationalities from themselves and both spouses have HKID cards. one spouse gets a work visa/investment visa etc and the other gets a dependent visa.

anyway, i'm sorry that you'll have the expense of a private birth. but just console yourself that it will be a wonderful experience and nothing like a birth at a public hospital(i had a baby by emergency c-section at a public hospital and it was truly an awful experience and i wouldn't wish it on anyone...although the nurses that took care of me for 2 weeks beforehand were great!)

ag1
    ag1 is offline Registered User

Im a bit concerned by Cara's (implied) correlation between her "truly awful" childbirth experience and public hospitals. Fact is, myself and many, many women have had more than satisfactory childbirth experiences in Hong Kong's public hospitals. The care is professional, curteous and thorough and I think youd be doing the medical profession in HK's public hospitals a disservice by implying otherwise. I also think it's wrong for her to make sweeping assumptions that a private hospital will somehow automatically make childbirth a wonderful experience.

sunnysideup is offline Registered User

Strange, I thought as long as you have an HK working visa, no matter whichever country you are from, your spouse can apply HKID as your dependant. Do double-check with the immi dept. There is a help line you can ring up.

Private hospital is not cheap as you know. The cost I mention previously was for a normal birth. Should there be any complications, the cost will escalate. I have read people paying over 100K for it. Just be ready for that.

On the positive side, your wife should receive better care at private hospitals. You will be treated well too and allowed to go into labour as well as delivery room with her and visiting hours are more generous. All the best!

Sunny

my birthing experience was TRULY AWFUL.....
    that was what i said, i did not say that everyone's was the same...

i was hospitalised 4-5 times throughout my pregnancy, so i came to know the staff quite well...

the nurses on the ward were fantastic(as i sad earlier)...my birth went something like this...

although i'd been in the hospital for 2 weeks prior to my deliver, because they hadn't bothered to schedule the c-section, they considered it an emergency. they refused to let my husand in for the birht. i was rushed in because my BP had skyrocketed. I tried to explain to them that i would be much calmer if my hubby were allowed to accompany me....NO CAN DO......

finally, once in the operating theatre and the operation was underway, I COULD FEEL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was EXCRUCITATINGLY PAINFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the anesthesiologist was very good, tried to up the epi... already frozen to my neck couldn't give me any more, so gave me gas.....IT WAS STILL EXCRUCIATINGLY PAINFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

finally, finished the operation, wheeled me into the recovery... no one told my hubby that both mother and baby were fine... he was left for over 5.5 hours to wonder what had happened....

and that's just the start....

so , yes, my experience was absolutely horrible....i have had other friends that have given birht public and they were OK... however, my friends that have given birht privately have RAVED about it!

so, from MY EXPERIENCE, the public hospitals get the job done, the private ones do it with as much comfort as possible!

how is that a disservice?

ag1
    ag1 is offline Registered User

Well done - youve probably now scared the living daylights out of anyone about to give birth in a public hospital.

it was not my intention to scare anyone... i think that women are scared enough going into labour/delievery.

however, you questioned my experience.

if i had the option of private hospital, i would take, as i'm sure most of us would.

in a public hospital, you pay for the medical procedure.
    in a private hospital, you pay for the procedure AND the comfort.

i never assumed that other people didn't have other experiences. as a matter of fact, i'm hoping to have another baby later this year, early next year....where will i go?

back to the public hopsital.

in the end i got a wonderful, healthy baby boy, whom i wouldn't give up for the world!

that's what counts afterall, isnt' it?

Last edited by carang; 02-21-2006 at 07:19 PM.

sunnysideup is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1
    Well done - youve probably now scared the living daylights out of anyone about to give birth in a public hospital.
    No need for SARCASM here on this forum. Everyone is entitled to tell his/her story and most of us appreciate different experience posted here. Their bad experience can help us to be better prepared for the worst. They (good and bad experience) all help in giving us a more balanced view, thus, assist us in our decision making.

The decision is ours, afterall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12