Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

World Family set from Disney

jojoye is offline Registered User

that's very expensive. any other similar programs that are more affordable?

carang is offline Registered User

as someone who teaches very young children, i think that this "disney world of english" is an utterly ridicuous waste of money.

your child can watch playhouse disney for english cartoons that also teach: higglety town heros, word world, mickey mouse clubhouse etc.

your child will learn much more by talking to you, the parent & by going out and about, experiencing the worldthan ever they could learn passively sitting in front of a tv.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

I think that programme's such as the one being discussed really just make parents give some structured time with their kids. As andymom pointed out, you don't need to spend a lot of money - simply make some structured time for reading or learning and make it fun yourself.

Also, I am pretty sure that I read something about not introducing cartoons to babies. Something about 2D shapes or something.

We purchased a World Book early reading set when DD was a baby and the books were wonderful but I wouldn't do it again because it was a large outlay and we only used just over half the set. The earlier readers were of little use and the flash cards for learning to read no good at all.

reei is offline Registered User

I have the whold Disney set in my hard disk, someone gave it to me some time ago. I let my daughter watch a few times, it is interesting, but I really prefer to let her watch YBCR then Disney. It is just something about the characters, that I dont want her to get too... influenced by.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

I think this kind of program is useful for locals or foreigners who are not fluent in English, but would like their babies to learn good English.
    Posted via Mobile Device

gataloca, that is what they WANT you to think! please see my post. there are MANY, MANY better ways for your child to learn English than paying $30k for a set of dvds/books.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Carang, are those programs from cable channels? And of course, if I have to pay 30k I would rather go for another ways. I would consider the Disney program if it cost 1k, lol!
    Posted via Mobile Device

if you are going to have your kid watch tv, then disney playhouse is excellent. a lot of different programmes, some focus on phonics/spelling (word world- produced in conjunction with the US dept of Ed), higglety town heros (introduces various occupations etc), mickey mouse clubhouse (some problem solving, choosing the correct tool for the job) etc.

for the first 3-4 years of my son's life disney playhouse was all he watched. now that he's older, he's graduated to "brain candy" tv: transformers, popeye, pink panther and ben 10 are his favourites...for now...

if you already have nowtv, adding disney channels only costs $30-50/month...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123