Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Comments on baby pouches

jools is offline Registered User

Hi Erin,
    It take a little while to get the hang of the sling, but I think I had 'baby brain' at the time. The mayawrap sling comes with an excellent DVD that explains how to thread it and wear it in a variety of positions. Once you've got it, it's simplicity itself.

Once I had got the hang of it I never went out without it. My daughter breastfed in it, slept in it and generally lived in it. Once she was toddling it was great just to scoop her up in the sling when she got tired. My husband often had to remind me that I was wearing it, as I had put my daughter down a little while ago. I've also used it in a restaurant where a high chair was not available to secure her to a chair. Another advantage over other baby carriers (including the pouch), you can take a sleeping child out of the sling and into their cot without waking them up.

I cannot recommend the Mayawrap sling more highly and my third child will spend the first part of their life living in one. I bought mine from LLL, so I can thoroughly recommend contacting them.

Jools

crj
    crj is offline Registered User

I have a maya pouch, but find it is too hot on the hotter days. I recognise that we will always be hot, but I have decided to get a cooler sling for summer.

So I have ordered a sling from http://www.taylormadeslings.com it is organic cotton mesh, and much cooler for HK summer. I also find that he is more comfy in it as it can be adjusted in so many more ways than the pouch.

Zolowear also makes stretchy slings, but they are warmer than the taylor made ones.

If I was going to get a pouch though, I would get a stretchy material one, like the ones from KangarooKorner... http://www.kangarookorner.com/

The absolute best place to research slings is http://thebabywearer.com - This is a site totally dedicated to slings!! (but so much information it can be overwhelming!)
    I searched the forums for words like 'humid' and saw which ones were recommended. I also read the reviews, etc...

I love using a sling or pouch and prefer it to the Baby Bjorn for comfort and ease. I think it is easier to start with a pouch, with a slight stretch to it.

Warning, they are great items, and now I admit that I am now a sling addict :)

Here are the three main types.

Pouch - one loop of fabric (no tail), easy to put on and off, a slight stretch to the material will help. Some pouches are 'adjustable' in size, others are one size only.

Ring Sling - a long piece of fabric with 2 round rings. the 'tail' goes through the rings and you can adjust the position more than with a pouch - you can also use the tail for covering while breastfeeding and some tails have small pockets for diapers, keys, etc...

Wraps or Ties - these are long pieces of fabric that you literally wrap and tie the baby to you in numerous positions - they are supposed to be super comfortable, but have a very high learning curve.

Padded and unpadded - padded slings have more form to them and are more comfortable, but hotter. unpadded are probably best for HK summer.

You can see video examples of how to wear a sling and pouch at http://www.mayawrap.com/ I found these very useful when first deciding and learning.

and then there is a whole other category of 'traditional' style baby carriers..

And there is the choice of fabrics... from solavair which blocks UVA UVB to cotton with or without stretch, weave, mesh, fleece, etc...

It is really overwhelming all the choice and styles, etc... But way fun and a great way to carry your baby :)

crj

nanzbier is offline Registered User

Is Taylormadeslings better than Maya Wrap? Does it provide good support?

crj
    crj is offline Registered User

There is a trade off with the light weight material - I find it takes me a bit longer to 'spread' it on my shoulder - but once I do it is comfortable, and it is much more comfortable not being so hot!

crj

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12