Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mixing public/ private antenatal visits

alibali is offline Registered User

Smile Mixing public/ private antenatal visits

Hi. As as look through the various threads, it seems that some people are mixing public and private antenatal visits. I am thinking about doing this too, to keep costs down, but at the same time, get a little extra reassurance from a private doc. In total, there are about 11 visits from what I can gather, but I don't know which of these to do with a private doc vs. at Tsan Yuk. For those of you doing this, can I ask how many and which antenatal visits you tend to do with the private obgyns? Thanks for your advice!

Joyce is offline Registered User

I did the same. With my first pregnancy, I didn't register with Tsan Yuk until I was about 28 weeks pregnant and I carried on all my private visits until the week before I gave birth. My private doctor was great about it and she gave me all the notes and test results so I could forward them to Tsan Yuk. You only need to go to Tsan Yuk for certain "milestone" weeks but the monthly antenatal check ups are at the local health clinics.

With my second pregnancy, I registered with Tsan Yuk earlier only because I'd been through it all before.

I thought that the government system was quite comprehensive though time consuming because of all the waiting. I thought the private system was great too but of course, expensive when you have to pay for everything yourself.

terry is offline Registered User

Hi, I also went private for my antenatal visits then at 32 weeks registered for T/Yuk. Hated the waiting game I played every time at the public hospital and the rushed 3 minute consultation, and loved my private OB and the information and knowledge he gave us. Had to do the public thing though as I delivered at QMH - no insurance :)

JennyB is offline Registered User

This is my second pregnancy and the first time I did all my appointments with the public system. This time I have insurance which only covers up to I think 13K for maternity, which just about covers the private antenatal visits. So I only registered recently (at 33wks) with the public system. I was quite glad to wait this long to avoid the blood-glucose test at the Tsan Yuk which ia a half-day affair! They did ask me why I was registering so late so I said it was difficult for me to get the time off work.

If you are paying everything yourself, look into the cost of the Downs screening because that's one of the most expensive things. It used to be almost free at the Tsan Yuk but I believe they have started charging almost market rates for those tests now.

In my first pregnancy I found it helpful to see a private obgyn when I had concerns or questions, because the public doctors sometimes weren't very helpful with these. Also the public scans are very quick whereas the private docs will take time to point out things of interest to you and will give you photos and a CD.

alibali is offline Registered User

Thanks for all your replies. I think I have a gameplan now.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

Question

blood glucose test?? Do they insist you take this at Tsan Yuk? When is it usually done (which week)?

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyfamous
    blood glucose test?? Do they insist you take this at Tsan Yuk? When is it usually done (which week)?
    Not everyone does it. For me when they realised Diabetes runs in my family they insisted I take the test. I can't remember when I took it. Around 32 weeks.

Rani
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

Talking

Thanks for that! I'm hypoglycaemic anyways so a glucose test is mighty scary!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast