Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

arthritis

cristletips is offline Registered User

arthritis

Hi,
    I've been having terrible joint pain in all the joints in my hands. My baby is now 4 1/2 months. It hurts so much to just snap the snaps on her clothes, buckle the car seat and do those nutso buttons on her stroller.

I went to the doctor and he said i have arthritis. So i'll be including more fish and fish oil in my diet from now on. ANd have been prescribed nuropen to take away the inflammation.

Has anyone else had this after giving birth? Do you do or eat anything special to help it?

lydia is offline Registered User

Singaporean Mom

I heard that drinking some liqour may help. Maybe you could try DOM?

laichi is offline Registered User

pain in joints

I have pain in the joints of my hands too every morning when I woke up and they are stiff. But 1-2 hours after waking up and moving around, the pain and stiff went away. Not sure if it is the same case as you.

Louiseamanda is offline Registered User

Hi

As there are many different types of arthritis I would want to know wgich type I have and also to know whether it is rheumatoid arthritis, in particular. Did you doctor advise any blood tests? Nowadays there are many new treatments (in particularm if you had RA you might be prescribed disease-modifying drugs)
    Childbirth is quite a stress and can act as a trigger for onset of arthritis. Alternatively it could be a simple viral arthritis. I think you need more information uinless it settles pretty quickly with just anti-inflammatories.
    Ho[pe this helps. BTW 'morning stiffness' is one sign of an inflammatory arthritis. Take care
    LA

Penn is offline Registered User

Is your doctor definite that its arthritis and not carpel tunnel syndrome which is much more commonly triggered by pregnancy and can be very severe? Do you have weakness in your hands at all.
    Im sure hes right and the anti inflammatorys would be the right treatment for either ......

Penn is offline Registered User

Oh yeah, if you do start to take fish oils as a treatment ( which has been shown to help but takes about 5 weeks to start working) you may want to check the recommended Vitamin A quota, as fish oils can be high in Vit A. Vitamin A is toxic in high doses and Im not sure how much is passed through in breast milk if you are still breast feeding. The alternative is flaxseed oil which is the vegetarian option, more enviromentally friendly (cod are overfished) and has all the same Omega 3's and stuff but doesnt contain Vit A . Good Luck

engee is offline Registered User

Hey Cristletips,

Thats pretty bad and i know it coz i had rheumatic fever for a loooooong time.
    Keep away from cold food like icecreams or colddrinks etc.They may cause infection.
    I had taken Kaypen 250 for abt 10yrs and pencillin injection.

Do eat lotsa fish as ur doc advised.Am sure ur doc has told u the things u need to look into.
    Take care.
    Engee

cristletips is offline Registered User

The doctor mentioned about the blood test for RA. I haven't gotten it yet. he said it wasnt completely accurate either... So I am still contemplating it. I guess I am avoiding it because i dont want to start taking a lifetime of medication. But he suspected it was the early stages of RA.

After I took the anti-inflammatories it didn't help. I haven't noticed any change. I've been good about taking my cod liver oil. I went and had reflexology done and soaked my hands in parrafin and that helped instantly. He said to soak my hands in cooled boiled water mixed with vinegar nightly. I keep forgetting to do that.

Not sure about the Vitamin A content. That sounds scary as I am breastfeeding.

I asked about carpal tunnel. He seemed to think it was arthritis after doing some tests with my hands, asking questions and feeling them. .

It is still hurting daily, particularly stiff in the morning and hurting throughout the day. The weather doesnt help. It feels great if I have someone squeeze all of my knuckles. I never was a knuckle cracker either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top