Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Taking strollers on planes

Coco is offline Registered User

Taking strollers on planes

We will be going back to the UK in August. I heard that you can take the stroller right up to the plane and then get the crew to put the stroller away for you. Is this true ? I'm worried that if I take it on that they will tell me to put it in the hole. I have a Quinny buzz which is on the large size !

Shirley is offline Registered User

Hi Coco
    Yes you can take your buggy right upto the plane. You, of course, have to fold it up before they take them away. I have a Maclaren XT and used it to/from the UK with no problems.

Hope that helps

jessieywl is offline Registered User

They let you do what they call a "Gate Check-in" where you hand them your stroller by the gate and they then move it to the bottom of the plane (where they normally store the checked bags). That was what they did for us when we went to Japan on JAL a few weeks ago. So don't worry about the size of your stroller.

carang is offline Registered User

Yes you CAN do gate-check-in...BUT you MUST tell them that when you are checking-in for the flight...if you don't then they will not take the stroller on board...

mum of 2 is offline Registered User

Usually, you can, but as they said above it must be tagged at check-in. Airlines vary, BA often refuse to check anything heavier than a MacLaren Tecno at the gate becuase of 'health and safety regulations' - apparently the 3 wheelers are too havey for baggage handlers to carry down the steps!!!! Even when they do take it at the gate, they will often deliver it to the luggage carousel at the other end rather than bringing it to the door of the plane. If you are flying in Club they are often much more helpful, but not if the cabin is full of people flying with children (e.g. when half of HK flies back in July or at Christmas). Cathay is usually much better in this regard (gate check and deliver to plane).

It is worth checking with the airline in advance, because it can be a very long walk at the other end with children, no buggy and hand baggage for an overnight flight.

merryberry is offline Registered User

apparently BA will only deliver a buggy to the luggage carousel which is a pain. We have a Zapp & managed to take it on the plane with us as it folds so small.

fee
    fee is offline Registered User

Check the airline's website - they will usually give a comprehensive list of things allowed as cabin baggage and it usually includes an 'umbrella' type stroller ( the ones that fold up long and skinny). Most airlines also let you take the food and nappies for use during the flight for free - ie they are not weighed as part of your hand luggage allowance...