Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quinny Strollers on steps and slopes

mamamei is offline Registered User

Gidget, I 'test-drove' a Micralite when I was in England last month and I didn't think much of it at all.

For a start, it managed to be both too bulky and not sturdy enough. That is, it is a tall stroller with thin aluminum bars like an umbrella stroller, but it has these huge back wheels (as big as a Quinny Buzz's or a Bugaboo’s), which made it quite awkward to carry. I was told that the wheels come off, but the last thing you want to do when you are out and about in HK is fiddle around with the wheels! At least when the Quinny Zapp folds down you can hold it in one hand. You wouldn't be able to do this with the Micralite. It would be too long and too heavy on one end.

The handling (on the flat) was also not nearly in the same class as the Quinny or the Bugaboo. It is definitely better than some of the more plasticky travel systems I tested out, but it still feels a little shaky. I guess that is because it is so lightweight, which is fine in it's stroller form, but when fitted with the carrycot or the car seat, it seems a bit precarious to me, especially on HK’s bumpy pavements.

The seat is also like that of an umbrella stroller – there is very little padding, the back is just canvas like the back of the Quinny Zapp except the material is not as sturdy. And whilst it does recline more than a Zapp, it does not recline enough for a newborn.

It does have a basket, which is more than can be said for the Zapp, but once the seat is in place, it is impossible get anything in or out of it, which renders it a little useless.

I know it is so difficult to make any decisions based on other peoples' reviews, but those are my thoughts on the Micralite. Hope this helps somebody a little!

gidget is offline Registered User

Mamamei thanks for the review on the Micro lite, that was really helpful.

Thanks for everyone else for the Zapp reviews, they helped to made up my mind.

The way I figure it with the Zapp is that it's going to work for the Maxi Cosi at first and then if I find it not suitable after that at the very least I'll have a good 'travel' pram, which I'll need anyway for flying.

Thank you all for your helpful thoughts and reviews!

I finally ended up buying the Quinny Zapp and MaxiCosi car seat. Having pushed them round Bumps to Babes for about three hours and then round our flat for a couple of days, I am pretty happy with my choice so far. What really clinched it for me in the end was how easily I could fit the carseat in and out of the chassis and carry both up a flight of stairs if I needed to. Big dose of confidence for a new mom who is a little intimidated by the idea od going out and about with a newborn. At the end of the day, I think it made sense for me to have a buggy that I am confident using when I am feeling most vulnerable. If I get a good eight months out of this system, I will be more than happy to trade it in for something more suitable at the time.

Good luck with all your buggy decisions!

gidget is offline Registered User

Hi Mamamei, I bought one too!

I need to practice my folding and unfolding though, as some of the others in this post said, it is not as easy as it sounds!!

Gidget, I found the chassis folds down a lot easier once the canvas 'seat' is off. I could do it really easily in the shop so I panicked a bit when I got home and couldn't pull the bottom of the stroller into place with my foot. The minute I took the seat off, it was a piece of cake. Just keep practising, it does get easier.

shahirakk is offline Registered User

havent managed to take the seat off the quinny zap! Any tips. What do people feel about the Maclaren or similar??

To remove the seat on the Zapp, first you need to undo all the latches that attach the seat to the chassis, then you need to collapse it, but not don't lock it into place. From this position, you should be able to just slip the canvas off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12