Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving to DB with Infant & Toddler

chubbysan is offline Registered User

Moving to DB with Infant & Toddler

hi all, I am new to tis forum and be moving to Hong Kong in Sept to join my hubby (who is currently working in central area) We have 2 girls, 2.5yr old & 2 mth old. I read abt DB being v children friendly with lots of activities for kids and transport is convenient as well.

I would like to seek yr advise on the nuseries & kindy in DB, any recommendation for my 2.5yr old girl. She is currently attending some playgroup in Singapore and I planning to put her in nusery when we in HK. Is there any good nusery in DB and any waiting list??

Wat shd i take note or bring along for the family & children when i move to DB?

I am still currently breastfeeding my 2mth old girl, and wondering how is the breastfeeding culture in HK. In Singapore, i could easily find nursing room in shopping mall and am wondering if HK has such facilities in shopping mall as well??

Looking forward to hearing & knowing everyone in DB!

cheers,

Felicia

Sara is offline Registered User

Hi Felicia,

We live in D.B. with a 3 1/3-year-old boy and are expecting a baby in late September.

We've lived here (in D.B.) for almost 10 years, and think it's great for families with children. There are loads of home-based structured playgroups run by qualified educators/teachers, so you need not to worry about that, but for real kindergartens and schools, the waiting lists are normally inconceivably long. I recommend that you register your 2-month-old as soon as you get here...

We've our local web site for second-hand stuff and such. You might browse through it to get some ideas on what you can easily find here. http://www.discoverybayforum.com

Good luck with your move.

Sara.

Hi Sara,

thanks for your msg. How can i register my 2.5yr old girl in any nusery or kindy when i reach DB, other than home-based playgroup?

How is home-based structured playgroup conducted? Is yr boy in any school now?

cheers,

Felicia

Hi Felicia,

There are 3 schools in D.B.
    D.B. Int'l School http://www.dbis.edu.hk/index.php
    Discovery Mind Kindergarten http://www.dmk.edu.hk/eng_flash.html
    Sunshine House http://www.sunshinehouse.com.hk/

Just go straight to the school of your choice and register your girl. DBIS requires HK$500 with the application form, DMK HK$50, and I think no fee for Sunshine.

Home based playgroups are normally from 9-12 on weekdays, though some also conduct an afternoon session. You can choose to go every day, 3 times a week, or twice a week, and mostly pay at the beginning of the month.

My boy is in a playgroup at the moment, going to DBIS Nursery class this September.

Sara.

Hi Sara,

Thanks for your mail, will enquire with the schools shortly. Btw, is it true that schools in D.B. have long waiting list, esp DBIS? Does it also apply to their nusery & kindergarten class?

Thanks,

Felicia

Hi Felicia,

Yes and definitely yes to both of your questions. We registered our son for the Nursery class at DBIS when he was 4 weeks old, and he was no. 67 out of the 80 confirmed seats!

If you'd like to discuss this off the forum, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Sara.

Eliza Han is offline Registered User

Dear Felicia,

Hi there! What a coincidence! I am also from Singapore, and will be relocating to HK sometime in September, with my newborn baby (EDD 2 July) and my 22 month old toddler. Mu husband is also currently working in HK. Seems like we have much in common. :)

Last edited by Eliza Han; 06-09-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: I realised that this thread is one year back! please delete my post, thanks.

dbisparent is offline Registered User

hi, parents,

noticed from your message that you might be interested in sending your child to dbis at discovery bay. we are going to sell our premium debeture which can fast track your child's enrollment.

See if you're interested.