Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

IVF in Hong Kong

tsuffolk is offline Registered User

Question IVF in Hong Kong

Hi everyone,

I'm in a difficult position. Having just started my first IVF cycle here in London my husband then gets the nod for a transfer to hong Kong. Although exciting I am still quiet concerned about the facilities and costs etc of IVF in Hong Kong. Can anyone suggest a great clinic without a waiting list and give me an idea of the costs involved before we make the decision to up an move.

Regards

Coverned

Mousugumama is offline Registered User

Just sent you a PM:)

westie is offline Registered User

Hi!

Just wanted to say that I was comfirmed PG with my first IVF yesterday.
    My total cost (up to yesterday's blood test) came to HK$72,00 (approx GBP5,000) - this will depend on the amount drugs you'll need. I'm under the care of Dr K W Tay in TST, his cost is very reasonable compared to some the famous Drs here. I found him to be the most caring Dr, very reassuring and spends time explaining everything - I've never felt rushed. IVF can be very stressful so a Dr you are happy with is very important, for me though I thought the injections, ER, ET were nothing compared to the 2 weeks wait time before the first bloodtest.

All good Drs in HK have a waiting list, but if you book early you should get in there. I did my ER & ET in Sanitorimum hosptial, very happy with their facilities. Monitorings were done at the Dr's clinic.
    Don't worry HK have very good health care

How fantastic. I'm still on the injections and after a scan today confirmed that my eggs are growing very slowly so maybe next week they will get a chance to fert. Thanks for the info about drs etc. We are still unsure as to what to do. Hopefully the company will send us out there in a couple of weeks to see if we like it or not. I think we'll just have to wait till then and see how this IVF works for us. What's the score with maternity leave over there. How does it compare to England.

Tan

slamdunk is offline Registered User

Good luck tsuffolk. Maternity leave in HK is appalling compared with UK. It's 10 weeks paid leave (at 80%) but international companies may have internal policy which is better than the statutory. You are only entitled to paid leave if you have been with the company for 1 year continuously on your due date (or 'confinement date' as they quaintly call it here). That means you need to have been with them about 3 months before you become pregnant, otherwise you get the 10 weeks unpaid. Luckily, there are laws to protect you and companies can't fire you when you've told them you're pregnant. There is no leave for fathers.

Thanks slam dunk. It doesn't sound great at all. Can you then take more time off after the 10 weeks obviously not paid?

Cheers

Tanya

ngw
    ngw is offline Registered User

more info

Hello - interesting thread. we are facing the same concern (relocate while just completed a third IVF - next step might be IUI).
    we would love to get more information about costs of IVF and IUI in HK.

LeahH is offline Registered User

Unpaid leave depends on your company, for many Intl organisations it's discretionary. In mine you can take unpaid leave if your manager agrees and the enhanced standard maternity is 18 weeks (add on some holiday and though not nearly as good as the UK, it's not too bad).

Your husband may get whatever paternity entitlement that his company allows in the UK if he is a transfer.

Also for a transfer, you may get an insurance package allowing you to see the Obgyn of your choice (appts and scans are very regular) and to deliver privately. The whole experience is a million miles away from the NHS, I couldn't reccommend it more highly!

On the whole, if you plan to be a working mum HK makes it very easy for you (compared to the UK). Depending on where you choose to live, it's typically a much shorter commute and you can get very cost effective, live in help.

Good luck!