Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby refused water ,what to do?

Yan
    Yan is offline Registered User

Baby refused water ,what to do?

My baby is almost 5 months now. Her problem is, she refused water. I put water into bottle, but once she taste the water, she cry and refused it. So that I added more water into the formula. It seems alright, at least good poo poo.

But since last week, she start doesn't want formula, reduce her intake on each meal from 200ml to almost 100ml. Then I give her rice cereal, and she really like it, seems want that on every meal. So I give her two spoon water on every spoon of cereal. Again, she just refused the water.So I try to mix more water into the cereal, she seems doesn't like it .I worry that she definilty need more water when she has solid.

Any advice of what to do? any mother share the similar experience, please!

carang is offline Registered User

a common local misconception is that a baby needs water... they don't... they need fluids... pretty much any fluids will do..

my son used to hate water the first few times that i gave it to him...i started to mix in a little juice and he very quickly decided that he liked it much better...

so long as your baby is not dehydrated, why does she need water?

jubee is offline Registered User

I agree with carang. My pediatrician said babies don't need water initially. Milk/formula will be plenty of fluids for them at first. I didn't start giving water until about 10-11 months or so. He didn't like it at first, but I constantly kept water around him regardless and now he drinks it all the time.

capital is offline Banned

I agree, why do you need water. BM andFF both have very high water contents already. If baby is thirsty, just give more formula

lydia is offline Registered User

Unhappy

My baby's Poo is so hard, and I was advice by every friend to give more water. Other than water, how to solve the hard poo problem. I think I see some orange color on her poo, is that blood?

carang is offline Registered User

maybe you are giving her too much solid to start...

what i did was this...

mix the rice cereal with enough water to make it quite runny...
    fed my son some carrots mixed with the cereal (after 3 or 4 days you can try a different vegetable and so on)
    continued giving bottle AFTER completely finished food...

if the poo is too hard, don't give solid for a day or so, only formula...

lidly is offline Registered User

My son didn't start drinking water properly until about 6 months, I am sure when your baby is ready she will start to drink the water. I had to offer water many times before he would accept it. I tried giving him water with chammomile tea to start with, he liked the sweetness of it so this helped, though I wouldn't give it to him all the time.

mammalicious is offline Registered User

i had a problem with my daughter for couple months when i first started to feeding her water. i had totally breastfed before, and although i was told many times she didn't really need water, i was quite panicky to the fact that she wud refuse but ate LOTS of solids. so i just kept offering it to her, i would b/feed first before the solids, and then during solid feeding, after 2-3 spoonfuls, i'd offer some water and she'd have a sip or 2, then turn her head, then feed another 2-3 spoonfuls and offer again. this continued for 1-2 months and finally she would drink water.

she loves water now, and finds juice weird as i hav never realy offered her any for fear of sweet tooth

hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast