Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone given birth at Queen Mary?

Hubba Bubba is offline Registered User

Anyone given birth at Queen Mary?

Just changed jobs and found out I was pregant a week after signing the contract - oops! My company medical no longer covers maternity and no insurer will cover the delivery costs under a new policy because I am already pregnant. Seems our only choice it to give birth at Queen Mary. Can anyone share their experience of their pre-natal program and the actual experience. Any tips I should be aware of, questions I should ask, things to watch out for, what the cost is, by when do I need to register, etc? Seems most threads talk about comparing the privates but I need to know about the piblic system!

carang is offline Registered User

hey hubba bubba!
    congratualtions!

if you do a search using queen mary, i'm sure you'll find a load of information...i know in the past, i've probably contributed to about 10 or so different threads regarding QMH.

i'll be there too, feb-march of next year!

JennyB is offline Registered User

Yeah, and have a look in the pregnancy section of this forum where there are some recent and active threads.

Re costs, these are changing all the time, because the public system are strapped for cash, so they are gradually charging for more things, such as Downs screening which used to be free. So the most recent posts will be more accurate on costs. As of 7wks ago when I gave birth at QMH, my bill was only $150! ($100 per additional night stayed at the hospital.)

Congratulations too!

Chrisma is offline Registered User

Hello,

I'm moving to HK in December and I aslo have to go to the QMH to give birth in February/March as i'm not insured for that part. I heard that man are not allowed to be with you when you give birth. Does anyone know if that's true or not?

alibali is offline Registered User

FYI. Tsan Yuk will most likely refer you to the Lady Woo Centre for prenatal tests not provided free of charge (i.e. Down Syndrome tests if under 35, etc.). For the cost of these tests, refer to the following website: http://www.hku.hk/obsgyn/clinicalServ/lhww/main.htm.

alibali is offline Registered User

Men are allowed to attend births at Queen Mary (both vaginal and c-section), but there is conflicting info as to when they are allowed. Some people say that the man has to show proof that he has attended antenatal classes in order to be allowed in, while others say this requirement is silly and that they will demand to be present. I did take a tour of QMH recently, but didn't ask about this as we are taking antenatal classes. Your best bet is to call QMH directly and ask : 2855-3838 (although, based on my experiences in HK, answers tend to vary from person to person within the same organization!)

carang is offline Registered User

when i delivered there 18 months ago,my hubby was not allowed in for delivery because it was an "emergency c-section" but generally they are allowed as far as i know.

hkaussie is offline Registered User

I had my first (and only!) baby in QMH. It was fine. My husband was with me the entire time, though that was a vaginal birth, I'm not sure about c-section. I've heard people say be bossy and firm to get what you want, if they try to tell you not to do a particular thing, like keep hubby out of the ward while you're in labour.

I felt very well taken care of at QMH. My negatives would be:

- Poor breastfeeding support. If you want to breastfeed, get your info before you go and make sure you have some good contacts you can call for support, like the La Leche League.

- Routine episiotomies. They love to cut!

- Little flexibility in terms of birthing positions. They are only trained to deliver in one position - the half lying/half sitting position.

Hope that helps. I would happily have another baby there. I'm from Oz.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast