Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Immigration

kat kat is offline Registered User

Immigration

Both my husband & I are Hong Kong permanent residents. I have couples of questions. Can anyone help me?

1) If our baby is born outside HK, in order to be a HK permanent resident, does she need to live in HK for 7 years?

2) Can she get a HK Birth Certification?

3) Can she apply for a HK Passport?

4) Can she apply for a 回鄉證 if I wanna bring her to China?

carang is offline Registered User

it's always best to go straight to the source with important questions like these.
    immig is always very helpful.

good luck!

Sara is offline Registered User

kat kat:

My husband and I are both permanent residents, though non-Chinese. Our son wasn't born in HK.

1) Yes, the child has to stay with you in HK for 7 years before being eligible to apply for the permanent residency status.

2) The child cannot get a HK birth certificate.

3) As we're non-Chinese, our boy (nor we) cannot apply for a HK SAR passport. If the parents are Chinese, I think you can.

I don't know what the question no. 4 is. Sorry, that's all I could help.

niutalent is offline Registered User

Ironically, I have had immigration problems of my own but opposite of yours!

My husband and I are both of chinese descent but neither of us hold HK passports. My daughter who was born this year holds an American passport. We were refused a visa to China earlier this year as she was considered a "Chinese citizen". So we had to apply for a 'hui xiang jing' for both her and myself when we had no intention of doing so in order for her to 'return to China'. How ironic is that? I thought if either my husband or I were not ethnically chinese, we would not have had this problem and all this extra stress!

So you can only apply for a "hui xiang jing' for your child if either you or your husband holds one. but best to check with the China immigration/China Travel Service office. We went to the one on Connaught Road.

kat kat is offline Registered User

Both of us are holding the "3-star" HK ID, HK SAR passport and hui xiang zheng. In order to get the HK passport and hui xian zheng for our baby, we just not sure if our baby need to be born in HK. I did surf the HK Immigration Department website, as well as the China immigration/China Travel Service website, however, I can't get the answer! The explaination is so vague. Should I call them or visit their offices in person? There's problem for me if I need to visit them in person coz I'm not in HK now. As I'm experiencing serious pregnancy symptoms, these make me even cannot fly back to HK... :(

Klam is offline Registered User

Kat Kat

I think you have to be born in HK to be able to apply for a HK passport and if your child is born outside HK, he/she will not hold a "3-star" HK ID card. Though I believe the card will become a "3-star" after the child has been in HK for 7 years.

I'm not sure what the chinese chararcters are on no.4 is, but I presume you are talking about the permanent card that you can use to go to China without getting a visa. The answer I believe is No. You will need to buy a day pass everytime you want to take your child to China.

I think you will get a proper and more accurate answer if you call immigration as they are usually very helpful.

Last edited by Klam; 08-20-2006 at 11:47 AM.

lii
    lii is offline Registered User

kat,

My husband is an HK citizen while i'm on sponsorship from him and therefore only permanent resident.

1. Our baby born in Canada can get a dependent visa with my husband as a sponsor (no stars) and the only official documentation to support it is a VISA applied inside her Canadian passport.

2. Since the child was not born in HK, she doesn't qualify for an HK birth certificate. She already has a Canadian one.

3. She can't even get an HKID. The children's HKID is applicable to children 11 years or older. Therefore she can't get an HK passport.

4. She can't get a 回鄉證 either. If she wants to go to China, she'll need to apply for a Visa that is attached to her passport.

I hope this helps. The process of applying for her permanent residence was pretty easy and quick. It took about 3 weeks for the application to process.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

My husband is Chinese and was born in Hong Kong. He holds a BNO and an HKSAR passport and has full right of abode in Hong Kong.

I’m English and hold a British passport and now, after living in HK for over seven years, hold a permanent HKID card.

My third child was born in England (it was during the summer holidays – I didn’t think pregnancy and the summer heat went together and so escaped). Thus he has a British birth certificate and we got him a British passport at age 15 days so that he could travel to Hong Kong at 18 days.

He has a British passport, an HKSAR passport with an ID card that had no photo on it. And he also has a "hui xiang jing'. Applying the HKSAR passport was easy because everyone spoke English and the Hong Kong officials just follow the rules.

I found applying for the “hui xiang jing”, however, very troublesome. Each person I spoke to told me a different story. In the end my husband took over and spoke Chinese to them. We found it was much better if I didn’t show my English face in the building and then no questions were asked about dual nationality.

It seems that China has policies about Chinese citizens who then choose to become nationals of other places, in that they don’t allow dual nationality. But I can’t be sure of this because no one would give me straight answers. And they don’t seem to have thought about children who get the dual nationalities by birth right.

My son has only one star on his HKID card at the moment and will get three when he is eighteen. These stars show that he is descended from Chinese. His ID card starts with the letter P, which I believe indicates that he was born overseas. These laws about nationality seem quite racist to me.

When I travel to China I use a three year multi entry visa. I find it is much easier and cheaper than applying for one at each visit.

The only time I travelled to China with my children and without my husband I took them on their British passports and applied for visas. When my husband travels with us he takes them through the Chinese side and I go through the "aliens" side and we meet up on the other side of immigration.

Best of luck with all the officials,
    SARAH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast