Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Toilet Training

loraine is offline Registered User

I understand that incentives could work, but my son would need to wee in the potty first (to get the star) which he just hasn't done. We've bought some sweets (he's never been given sweets) so there is an extra special treat awaiting him, but he just won't wee. Now I've decided to wait till the Oct public holidays and then try try again!

carang is offline Registered User

good luck lorraine!

loupou is offline Baby Guru

re: the distinction between "toliet learning", "toilet training" and who is training whom.

I think that theese distinction are unimportant. The point is to get the kid to poo or pee in the toilet in a way that is not traumatic for parent or child. Saves on diapers and frustration.

Loraine,

You might want to try this:

1) before his evening bath, hold him above the toilet (so his pee will go in) and whistle or make a phhhhhhh sound

2) Before holding him up over the toilet (or having him stand on a stool in front of it) run the faucet. The sound of running water can encourage urination.

3) If he is standing in front of the toilet, put his fingers in a bowl of warm water to encourage urination.

capital is offline Banned

My 2.5 year old will pee on the potty but refuses to poop on the potty. He only poops at home and will always run somewhere where no on is to do it. He will pee on the potty only when he feels like it so i have had no sucess in getting him to sit for 5minutes straight unless he wants too. If I leave his pants off he will just poop or pee on the floor. So I guess until he is motivated to do it himself he won't. Somedays he will pee on potty a lot, but hasn't at all for 2 weeks now. I am getting to the point I may try giving him a smartie if he goes. The worst part about it is occasionally my husband will tell me how his mom had him potty trained by such and such an age. I really want him trained before we come back to hing kong so I don't hear any comments from her.

adeline is offline Registered User

Thanks Kiwi Family!

Maybe I wasn't using the right English word ... I should say I am currently training my son on the potty.

Cheers.

Hi Capital,

You might want to try the smartie! I started potty training my son (again) 8 days ago, giving him a spoonful of chocolate krispie for every wee in the potty, and 2 spoonfuls for a poo. Its something he has never eaten before, and he can only get it for wee or poo (no other times) and its really working! A friend recommended it, and said you can fade the reward later. (A smartie would be more convenient but my son has food allergies). Foo is easier for him to understand than a star chart and he has a real incentive to go now!

carang is offline Registered User

my aunt used to have "bathroom treats" too... one of the twins got smarties, the other got jelly beans....

glad to hear it's working this time round loraine!

Thanks Cara, I hope you're well? Miss you at T&Ts!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast