Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Toilet Training

chubbysan is offline Registered User

hi all,

i also recently started toilet training my girl who is 2yrs 8mth old now. I just started this week, and the first few days, she will pee & poo everywhere except the potty. When i put her on the potty, she thinks is for fun, just sat there and nothing happen. She will tell me she already pee and want to get up. Then today, i think she has been holding her urine since morning....i made her drink water and try to pee in the potty, but still she has not urine since morning.

Is she holding her urine? am i doing the right thing so far toilet training her?

Poppy is offline Registered User

I think you are doing the right thing Chubbysan!

We have just potty trained our little one (25 months) and she did exactly the same!!!

She held her pee in all day sometimes (really worrying). Just when we were seriously about to give in and go back to nappies (after about a week and half of this) she suddenly 'got it'! ... now, in the last two weeks we have only had one accident, and she has not had an accident at all at school (touch wood)! Lily also went through a phase where she we had to take her to the toilett every time she wanted to fart!

In hindsite, I can see that toddlers so young have a completely different way of learning to us - the information processes very subconciously in their brains and then finally when it is sorted, they just do it (as though they have always done it)! I find Lily does not ever conciously learn, she just does! Whilst she processes the info it feels as thogh she will never get it becasue I cant see her learning.

If your little one is holding urine in it means actually she has incredibly good bladder control, which is brilliant. Keep persvering (i have to say for a week we bribed with sweets (one for sitting on the loo, then another for doing something) ... after a week of being dry we noticed that she was saying she needed a wee just to get a sweet... so we quickly put a stop to it lol.

Good luck with your little one, I am sure it will go fine, just dont give up too soon.

Take care

Poppy, Lily xxxx

paulinechin is offline Registered User

My bb now understands simple command at 20mths and just last weekend pee in potty for first time.

Children that age will imitate what they see. So don't be afraid to let them see you going to the toilet and let them know that Mommy is using the potty as well.

When they go to preschool and see other children using the potty, they will follow as well.

http://www.abibik.blogspot.com/

chubbysan is offline Registered User

Hi Poppy,

Tks for the note, yeah after 1.5wk of trying, she finally pee in the potty. Took the advise by giving her incentive to pee, we gave her stickers to paste on the chart and she was delighted. Finally yesterday she pee in the potty for the first time, i was trilled!!!

Today she was so engrossed with TV that she pee in the panty again....now i got to remind her about the potty.

Is a v exhausting process, but i will hang on!

prisneo is offline Registered User

Do not be overly anxious. When they are ready, they will do it. My 3 yr old decided one day that he was a big boy at 30 months and decided to use our toilet and toilet bowl without going through potty training.

I was also very anxious like all of you but I relax after taking to his paed and take it easy and it came naturally for him.

dacia is offline Registered User

My son is 31 months old and not toilet trained. It's winter and my husband said to wait till it's warmer. Will he really catch a cold if I expose his bottoms a few times a day?

When he sees the potty, he'll sit on it and drag it around the room as if he's driving a car. My mum said he's supposed to be trained to stand and pee since he's a boy. But whether it's standing in front of the potty or on a stool facing our toilet bowl, he'd rather hold his urine. After a while, he'll ask for his diapers and once he's had his diapers on, he'll pee or poo. And he likes to poo squatting at a corner of our bed. I can't talk him out of it. Even if he wears underwear, he doesn't mind if they're soiled so I've no idea how else to train him.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

My younger son was similar; he really didn’t want to use a potty or a toilet but preferred his nappy. If I tried to get him to use them he’d scream for ages. When he was 34 months old my husband bribed him!

His elder brother had just been given a new pair of shoes with compasses on the front and he wanted a pair too. My husband sat his on his lap and told him, “If you use the toilet instead of your nappy, I’ll buy you a pair.” Instant toilet training.

I’d try not to worry but take any opportunity that comes up to get your way.

I found that when my other children were ready the heat and bulk of the nappy as the spring gave way into summer was all that was needed to prompt then into happy toilet training. Can you image wearing a nappy in a Hong Kong summer?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234