Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Disney World of English

carang is offline Registered User

15 minutes to a 19 month old or evena 2 year old is a lifetime... keep it to 5 minutes. when they start to lose interest, STOP. do NOT force your child to sit through something he is not enjoying. it will only make him hate it.

as for spending only 2 hours with him...don't worry! if both you and hubby only speak to him in english during those two hours, he'll pick it up!

joannek is offline Registered User

plus, i wouldn't worry about it if you speak fluently. i can tell your english level is pretty good from your posts. i sure don't think you need it.

but hey, it's only normal to wonder whether we should buy it. i also did start a thread asking the same question about 6 mths ago. the reason was cos i have a friend who bought the set when her son was 9mths & her son was speaking single words at 12 mth, reciting a to z at 15mths. he's now 22 mths & speaking in FULL SENTENCES with correct grammar & prepositions (he even uses the word "otherwise" correctly!!! and he can sing the full "old macdonald had a farm" "pussy cat where have u been", etc. i thought it was the Disney thing. and then i did some research & learn that it's not the disney thing, it's the boy. he's just a little genius. i get the agent to come to my place & expain why the thing costs so much. she said it's your beloved offspring's future you're talking about, so it's priceless. (??) so i went on to ask her whether there are any english speaking parents bought the set. she said "no, cos it's a set for learning english & english native speakers don't need to buy the set to teach their children english."

i guess it's very good if the parents AND the caregiver don't speak english, or their pronunciation isn't accurate.

Blee is offline Registered User

How early do you start letting your kid watch DVD?

Also, does anyone have the Baby Einstein DVD set? If so, is it a good set to play to the kid? It is certainly much cheaper than the Disney set.

carang is offline Registered User

we've always had the t on in the background. we did it before baby and we continue to do it now...

he LOVES barney, elmo, Little einstein and out of the box on disney playhouse.

when i go to the video shop on $10 tuesday for a movie for us, he always picks a barney DVD for himself.

joannek is offline Registered User

i started showing baby when she could sit u on her own baby einstein, but she hated it. so i stopped. then at around 6 mths, i tried again. and the only one she liked was einstein macdonald farm. we let her watch that everyday at the same time (after breakfas for 15 mins).

Isaac Mom is offline Registered User

I started VCD to my son since he was six months old at a regular time. The first VCD was the Disney trial version for baby less than 1, singing hello and byebye, and fingers and toes, etc. I can say that he has never been shy to the strange person, he even waves hello to people in the lift.

One funny thing is that in his 12 months time he pointed to a strange person's toes in the lift and said "TOES". It made that person embarrassed who however kindly said "oh yes, it's toes".

Isaac Mom is offline Registered User

for unknown reason my son doesn't like Barney, but he likes elmo.

mommyboy is offline Registered User

It costs you a future as it's DISNEY'S. Anyway, there are a lot of CDs&DVDs toddlers can enjoy and learn English too. My 18-month old son loves Barney's & Teletubbies but has no interest in animation like Disney's.
    I speak to my little boy in English and Cantonese. I will frist speak English to him then repeat the words or sentences in Cantonese (sometimes, plus Putonghua too). One day, he surprised my by saying CHE CHE (car - in Cantonese)then pausing and say CARRR. Hope, this would help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast